Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Widow - AZ Mix
Okay, here's my take on this one. First, a disclouser... I do not listen to hip-hop pretty much at all so I have only the vaguest idea of how to treat such mixes. It is also my habbit to never listen to anyone else's mix prior to working on a tune. (I don't want to replicate what someone else has done even unconsciously.) I also only listen to the posted samples when I'm selecting the tune and download several at a time. So this is basically me going into this tune blind.

Given that the instruments were all synth, I didn't have to do much to them other than LPF on a couple to get rid of an obvious DC offset on two or three tracks. I did a little polishing on the bass but since this one is very vocal heavy, that's where I spent the bulk of my time.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
Comments totally welcome.

.mp3    widow.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

Old West Audio
Your disclosure could be my introduction too, just that I wouldn't call this Hip-Hop.
You've done no harm to the instruments and I think they're well balanced. Maybe the drums could shine a little more. The vocals I found them not balanced levels wise. The lead vocal is below most other voices and a little buried in the mix for my taste. Hope it helps. Listen to my mix and help me too.
Pitta
It seems that everything was kinda panned almost hard left and hard right. The main vocal was off center and to the left and the other vocal (middle eastern sounding) vocal sample panned a bit to the right. The mix also sounded like a little bit of the highs were taken off of the top. The mix is lacking brilliance. A little remix and eq should solve these problems.
Hey, Great Mix! In your disclosure you mentioned that you don't listen to Hip Hop. However, you did pretty well on this mix. Only recommendation I have is that you center your panning. Hip Hop is a sort of Dance/Club genre. So we try to keep things centered so that the sounds don't get lost when summed to mono, or if you pan a sound all the way to the right, have your effect for that track (Reverb, Delay, etc.) panned to the left so the sound has some information on the other side. Although we tend not to push anything hard L/R, but I do believe mixing is an art and we are free to explore. Who knows you could start a mixing trend by being out of the box. Anyway, I really enjoyed your mix, looking forward to hearing more of your work. Thanks for sharing.