Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What I Want - Master 2
After a few remixes on speakers from Dell desktops to Barefoot MM27s, this is my latest offering. I've heard a lot of different speaker systems and I am totally convinced that Barefoot has broken new ground in the monitoring field. These speakers are the truth.

This mix was started on PreSonus Studio One 2 Pro and finished on the new Studio One 3. I am just beginning to tap the depths of Studio One and I am finding it the most intuitive DAW. I have had some contact with ProTools and find it to be counter-intuitive (meaning written for its own purposes instead of an extension of legacy audio production processes). I do not have any control surface other than my desktop interface yet. I would very much like to find out how Studio One behaves with a good controller. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Anyway, here is my offering of this great song.

PS: I wish there was more discretion with the keyboard tracks in the original recordings.

1/24/2016
What I Want.mp3:

This latest mix was done post integration of new Yamaha HS5 monitors. This represents a significant improvement in the quality of my mixes (I think...). I guess others will be the arbiter of that. this is a very thick mix based on the content of the song and I have done my best at taking a good musical approach to it. I hope you enjoy it and will leave your always valuable comments.

February 2017
The Brew - What I Want - Feb 2017.mp3:

I've been mastering in a new space with big speakers and this is a result. As always, comments are appreciated.

.mp3    The Brew - What I want-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.27 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want - Feb 2017.mp3 --  (Download: 8.8 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Sounds cool, just curious, what effect did you use on the backg vocals ?
Just a flanger. I had listened to a lot of user's mixes and everyone did something to those. I also panned them hard left, hard right, then center as they were in a three phrase figure.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Lol too many effects here in both mixes! It is not my taste to put so many obvious effects but I really love that you experiment with your sound! That is creation! Thumbs up! Smile
(13-06-2015, 06:09 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Anyway, here is my offering of this great song.

Not knowing what you're referencing for style, I may be completely off on the comments, but:

The lead vocal seems quite thin. EQ is part of this, but maybe that it wants some ambiance, or stereo widening/chorusing treatment also, to fill out the center better.

The instruments don't balance well across the soundstage. Although each individual has interesting processing, the front/back depth is very different between sides, and each sounds like discrete instruments, in separate spaces, rather than blending into a coherent whole.

Overall levels are well matched, all good there. A bit more subtlety on the FX may also give the spot FX more impact. They are noticed at first, but then become a little repetitive. A little more automation would do the trick there.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42