Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
RGLmix Version
Hi there! Here's my own version of the song. Really nice and easy to mix, everithing where recorded fantastic!

Hope you like it, and every thought is appreciated!

.mp3    Uncle Dad - Who I am (RGL mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Congratulations ... real nice mix.
My only picky criticism is the amount of low end in the reverb. Just muddies it up a little bit for me.
The other one is the snare which is a touch thin ... maybe slightly over compressed.
But I'm being very fussy. This is a great song and a real nice mix to my ears.
Listening at work in Bose Quiet Comfort 15.
I have a hard time judging whether I like your mix or not
A lot of small detail I know is there I cant hear in your version
The verb on snare doesnt work for me
Would be easier to judge from your unmastered file
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
First of all, thanks for your comments.

(26-05-2015, 05:45 AM)Third Party Wrote: Congratulations ... real nice mix.
My only picky criticism is the amount of low end in the reverb. Just muddies it up a little bit for me.
The other one is the snare which is a touch thin ... maybe slightly over compressed.
But I'm being very fussy. This is a great song and a real nice mix to my ears.
Listening at work in Bose Quiet Comfort 15.

Hi third Party, thanks. Good observation on the reverb, I'll take a look on this.
On the Snare, indeed, it's hardly compressed. I'll check the compression on the sd

(26-05-2015, 08:15 AM)Voelund Wrote: I have a hard time judging whether I like your mix or not
A lot of small detail I know is there I cant hear in your version
The verb on snare doesnt work for me
Would be easier to judge from your unmastered file

Hi Voelund! When I return home I'll upload the unmastered file. Thanks for your attention!
Here is the unmastered version of the song.

.mp3    Uncle Dad Who I am (unmastered).mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Thx !
Much easier to listen for detail now
Snare especially, but drum and bass are given the big role with the vocal.

I understand that choice, but there are lots of small replies (to vocal) in guitar, violin, dobro that drowns if not helped shine (read: volume automated) You may check my version to see what I mean.
Also your cymbals could come up a tad (maybe just a little shelving boost on OH track ?)

Your snare verb could do with a little thinnin, but we talk taste here. (thinnin: locut higher frequency, say 600 Hz)
Apart from that a great mix.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(27-05-2015, 09:49 AM)Voelund Wrote: Thx !
Much easier to listen for detail now
Snare especially, but drum and bass are given the big role with the vocal.

I understand that choice, but there are lots of small replies (to vocal) in guitar, violin, dobro that drowns if not helped shine (read: volume automated) You may check my version to see what I mean.
Also your cymbals could come up a tad (maybe just a little shelving boost on OH track ?)

Your snare verb could do with a little thinnin, but we talk taste here. (thinnin: locut higher frequency, say 600 Hz)
Apart from that a great mix.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! As you said, I decided to put the little details not in the front. I checked you version and I like what you do, you give the little details in the front.

For the OH I didn't use a shelving boost, only in 8k to put the hi hat more in front.

I'll try to experiment whit to rev of the snare, to make it thinner.

Once again, thanks for the reply and for taking time to judge my work! Smile