Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dead Roses Mix: 1 1/2 Years Experience
Hey Guys,

I have been in the mixing game since January of 2014 when I decided to attend the Atlanta Institute of Music & Media for Audio Production. I am relatively happy with the mix, I also did a pseudo master on it to get the levels up. I would really appreciate an active listen on this mix, and I would love as much feedback as possible.

Thanks, Renzo

.m4a    Andrew Cole - Country Mix.m4a --  (Download: 5.27 MB)

Hi Renzo.
This mix sounds like it's pumping a bit. Did you hit the master bus compressor hard?
The overall tone has too much really high end for me (+10k). Check against a similar sounding reference track.
Balance and levels are nice, with good width and panning.
The female vocals sounds like it was hit a bit too hard with de-essing.
Great job though. Keep mixing and getting feedback. It all helps.
Perry

Yeah, one tip I was given myself (thanks Dave aka Metallurgist) is that if you've got low / low-mid issues, you can compensate for that by adding more treble to try and make it sound balanced, but it's not really sorting the issues out. I think the balance issue is that your bass/kick is quite flabby and unfocused (and too loud) and so to compensate you've added a lot of brightness to guitars in particular. I'd suggest thinning out the kick a bit, it doesn't need to be a big thumpy sound for this genre, and cutting some low-mid on the bass. You'll probably find that it'll seem quite natural to then back off the top-end as well cos otherwise it'll sound super harsh.

Hope that helps, cheers, Matt
Thanks guys for the feedback, this has been a long journey and learning process so far. I will keep these notes in mind for my next mix. I appreciate the feedback!