Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butterflies and metallurgy
-13.9 LUFS
LRA 9.8
TP -0.4

this is as dynamic as i could make it, but please make a mental note of the LRA; it would prove troublesome to anyone listening in a car; i wouldn't ordinarily stretch things this far. but the song changes it's mood and enters a number of transitional stages and i wanted the mix to try and embrace this. so, much of my shaping and crafting was done with this key focus in mind.

i felt the original material was perhaps unnecessarily dense, with a lot of instrumentation fighting it out with each other with the net result leaving me challenged to know what to listen to. so i nailed that and in the space added my own density, putting a lot more emphasis on the vocal, and the delivery of the message within the concept while working the instruments around this. at least that was the idea.

the treble was a difficult aspect to have to deal with, not least because a lot of the instrumentation (dulci and acoustic gtrs) were seeking some attention in this quarter, and the vocal too, of course. again, it was very much a matter of compromise, as any boosts in the mids-plus would tend to come out distorted, brittle as hell and not as pleasant as a cup of coffee with a nice big slice of fruit cake. HELLO FATIGUE!! a difficult balance to address. i wondered how many times the recordings were played back before they had the chance of being captured do hard disk....and then i started to think about how much use the tape had had before recording this...then my armpits got wet!

i made an executive decision to delete the coffee grinder from the intro....it felt to me to be disassociated from the song, so instead added something which would embrace my vision for the intro and blend with the rest of the materials....i wanted something that would engage the listener more fully here - a reason for staying. the acoustic gtr(s) were well down low.....which enhanced the lead and focused the ear when the Dulcimer came in with more authority and helped to set the scene for the rest of the song's emotional journey. the BV's here took a lot of attention and personal energy. the LV was thinned out with some sonic mischief at it's climax to emphasise the line: "...teach my children when it's OK to cry". an awesome line and i didn't want it to pass so nonchalantly.

i've not actually changed much to the original arrangement besides mutes. indeed, i think i moved the Dulci' somewhere because i liked what it could do to the feel of the song....but note that i'd muted the butt out of it by some 50 percent so when it played, we'd be aware of it rather than simply conditioned, which risks us ignoring it. to me, this instrument was one of the most important elements in the song, but it needed controlling more, in my view. i think there's some scope for a slight gain elsewhere in the mix, but when to stop fiddling? the shaker was another instrument; shaking far too long for my personal tastes...and felt much better being brought in at certain intervals to help work the song.

perhaps the word mute is too subtle considering how much i embraced it; "ruthless" might be more applicable. but i was digging for as much emotion as i could achieve here and i felt much of the content was clogging things up instead of contributing? great song, but in the raw, vanilla state it was missing something....perhaps a studio and a production process, or some impartiality on the arrangement to begin with. woteva, i took it where i needed to take it and in doing so engaged in a huuuuuuge amount of technical crafting to do so. it's a massive help though, being able to embrace a song with some great lyrics....subjective opinion indeed, but i loved this song, and loved it's message...and i also have to say, i felt the vocal to be honest and sincere in delivering the concept. a great concept. just as well really, this was on my DAW as work-in-progress for several months, dropping in when time and mood permitted.

this is less of a mix and perhaps more of a Produced version of the song, so it's going to have a lot of my personal signatures in it.....at the expense of the band's ideas, goals and aspirations no doubt. but that's OK, i'm not working to a Brief and it's nice to express one's own creative ideas synergistally with the band's, in the hunt for more emotion than the recordings could originally embrace [due to constraints associated with recording]. and to push my own boundaries.

the mix will potentially offer a lot of opportunity for people to express their wholly subjective opinions. i'm interested only in objective ones here please, it's entirely irrelevant to me that you might dislike the red bits in tooty fruity ice cream, hey. sure, if there are key elements which made a positive emotional impact on you, then i'd welcome hearing this....but please also flag up some objective mixing aspects along with it.

one final point - sibilance. the raw material contains a significant amount of distortion because of it, the tape and it's degradation might have had a role here. i found no way around this, because in trying to manage it, it simply made the vocal a lot worse, so i felt trapped between a rock and a hard place. there is an emotional cost to this, in my opinion, but sometimes our hands are tied.

as always, big thanks to the multi being available and a big thanks for taking a listen.

=========
update 16/11:
the 16bit PCM is no longer here, sorry.

.mp3    ButterflyEffect_METALLURGIST.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
I have carefully listened to most of your mixes, but this one is very different from others. I know this song very well because I mixed it a few months ago; but while I was listening to your mix, all of a sudden I noticed that I had forgotten about all technical issues that I wanted to comment, and I was 'traveling' with the song.

Once you told me about emotion, and this has made me leave my room and start a four minute journey with the song. I wanted to know what was in store the next second, and this section separation is truly effective. Only a few times in my life this has happened with music. And you've made it.

You already know that my knowledge about mixing is not too wide and I'm not here to give a lecture to others but to learn, but I can express my own feelings very well... and this mix has touched me. GREAT JOB, Dave! (with capital letters).
mixing since April 2013
I Like your version Dave !
I tried this one not happy with it yet especially the guitars !
Enjoyed Listening Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Lots to like here, particularly appreciate the distorted bass, very nice. Stereo width on the guitars and percussion is great. Only thing that struck me (listening to the wav, not the mp3) is that the kick seems quite a bit further forward than the snare, like the two aren't really part of the same kit. The latter sits in the mix nicely, the former stands out. Maybe just trimming some of the low-mid from it would do the trick?

(as an aside, do you really need the audio signature over the intro? You've clearly spent ages adding all the reverse fx etc so I'm not sure why you'd want to obscure those. We know whose mix we're listening to Smile )

Really enjoyed listening to this, thanks for posting.
Top Job Dave! Really creative and enjoyable. I had no way to focus on the technical when the emotional was so well done!
I agree with londonmatt above that: that signature is really unnecessary.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(11-06-2015, 06:05 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I have carefully listened to most of your mixes, but this one is very different from others. I know this song very well because I mixed it a few months ago; but while I was listening to your mix, all of a sudden I noticed that I had forgotten about all technical issues that I wanted to comment, and I was 'traveling' with the song.

Once you told me about emotion, and this has made me leave my room and start a four minute journey with the song. I wanted to know what was in store the next second, and this section separation is truly effective. Only a few times in my life this has happened with music. And you've made it.

You already know that my knowledge about mixing is not too wide and I'm not here to give a lecture to others but to learn, but I can express my own feelings very well... and this mix has touched me. GREAT JOB, Dave! (with capital letters).

JJ, i have to say i think you under estimate how much your mixes have developed, especially this year where the benefits of the learning synergies are flowing with much gusto, so whatever you are doing, it's working very well. i always look forward to listening to a new mix of yours, keen to embrace the smooth sonic textures, fantastic clarity and open dynamics which i associate with your presentations, and to learn from your strategies. perhaps it's a good time to stop mixing if we ever get to a point where learning stops....because it's the learning that gives us the reward of even better mixes tomorrow than we managed today. never stop learning, eh?

so, the fact that you said what you did makes feel very humbled indeed. sometimes we can get bogged down with the technical stuff and almost forget about what we are actually here for - to help deliver the emotion. i'm really pleased this touched you! as i said in my lonnggggg preamble, i spent a significant amount of time on this. sure, there is a self fulfilling reward if having got to the final print that one can feel one's achieved one's vision, but the REAL reward comes from what others think and feel. you alone, have made all that effort and time THE reward. thanks for sharing it with me.
(16-06-2015, 12:08 PM)thedon Wrote: I Like your version Dave !
I tried this one not happy with it yet especially the guitars !
Enjoyed Listening Big Grin

thanks for taking a listen, Don.

i thought the acoustic gtr's were running for too long in the raw (and dual tracked). this, coupled with the Dulcimer, also gave far too much treble content than the song could cope with, in my opinion. it's a great challenge, and i'm looking forward to hearing how you embraced it.

if you manage to keep all the elements working without touching the mute button once, i'll demand to know where you got your magic wand from because i will want/need one too!

laters,,,
Wow. I love your version. Your use of the effects and vocal samples was mind blowing. You really brought this song to a new level.
Amazing job.

P.S. I have to admit I am envious.

Cheers.
Nice job Dave ,well thought out