Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Bridges - AZ Mix
So here's my take on this. This represents about 6 hours of work rather than my normal 15+ (I'm slow). Really, these tracks are already pretty well processed so there wasn't a good deal for me to do but set ambience and poke about the edges. A bit of automation, a little work with the bass, and so on to get everything to blend and sit well. I also tried to tighten up the timing at the end.

Anyway, here you go...

.mp3    burning-bridges-20150610.mp3 --  (Download: 8.66 MB)

Old West Audio
Hello,

What comes first is the vocals process. To me, there is way too much delay and reverb. They're fighting to sit right in the mix. I think they should be more dry, more "in your face".
Guitars are too much behind the rest when vocals are there. Did you sidechain them ?

I like the effect on the calm bridge. Drums are well balanced (but maybe not processed enough for this kind of music).

Did you use reference track for the overall tone ? I think you can make it more agressive, biting. Some cuts in low mids can help.

Keep it up man Wink
No side chaining on this one. Pretty straight up.

The vocals are just my ear. I tend to favor a more vocal up mix and that comes through a bit too often. I was debating on the verb and delays but it was kinda working for me so I left it. I agree on the guitars though. May have to do some tweaking.
Old West Audio
Well the advantage of sharing raw tracks for mixing is also an inconvenient : your tastes are different than mines which are different than the band. There are so many (good) options when mixing.
For metal, I prefer using very small delays to open up a bit the vocals, and a light reverb for depth, but really nothing too much.