Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OurLoveIsHereToStay AndyGallas
This was really fun to mix! Well recorded tracks just rules :-)

.mp3    OurLovesHere_AndyGallas.mp3 --  (Download: 10.79 MB)

Vocals could benefit from a touch of low frequency reduction. In the beginning I wondering why the pianos were focused on the right, then it made sense when the guitar came in. I like the creativity of those positions but it seems a bit unnatural for this song (for my taste). The snare is also focused a tad unnaturally for my taste. Tonally and dynamically the mix is nice and balanced. I didn't like the heavy kick in my mix but you've found a nice balance for it here without losing it. It seems like every mix I've listened to so far has the sax off to the left haha. I would have liked to hear it center stage for the solo. I like the tone though. Nice job though, I enjoyed listening.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Thank's for taking time giving it a listen and your comments!

Well I wanted to keep the vocals big as I feel she really sells the song in the first place. At some point I guess it's a matter of taste if one prefers a rather thinner vocals sound in the lowend which is of course also a way to do it.

Regarding my panning. I first pushed the OH up and listened where all the other instruments are located in the OH to put the direct mics. The piano was slightly left in the OH but as I have the habit for this kind of music to have the piano rather on the right side, I swapped the OH and then added the close mics accordingly to the OH. The Sax was slightly on the left in the swapped OH, that's why I put the close mic there too. Though I think panning it center is fine too!

The snare was a bit of the problem of my mix. Actually I wanted it to sound more focused location wise. Right now it sound much to wide for my taste. But this has to do with the way it's presented in the OH. Sure it would be possible by pulling down the OH and bringing up the close snare mic but then all the important ambience and bleed would have been gone too.

I will listen to you mix later in the studio.

Cheers,
Andy
Shortly, excellent.

Only thing that bothers me just a bit, is the close guitar in the left. Somehow I feel that there should be something close balancing it on the right. I was listening with headphones. I'm sure that the guitar wouldn't have bothered me with monitors.
(05-06-2015, 03:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Shortly, excellent.

Only thing that bothers me just a bit, is the close guitar in the left. Somehow I feel that there should be something close balancing it on the right. I was listening with headphones. I'm sure that the guitar wouldn't have bothered me with monitors.

Thank you very much!
Well, since you pointed out the guitar it bothers me too! I guess making it a bit quieter and/or panning it a bit more towards the center might help.

Cheers,
Andy
I agree, I think the git should come down. As well as the piano, but by a smaller margin. It feels like a dense mix, which is a little surprising, given the sparse nature of the instrumentation. A different vision from a different mixer. Maybe the bass is a little hot, too.

These are all subjective, though!

Cheers!

Draper