Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the traveling band - first mix
So this is my mix of this great song. The vocals reminded me a lot of Belle and Sebastian. I used a little automation on them in the third verse when the drums kick in as they were getting a little bit lost. I decided to really bring out the guitars at the end as well to give it a kind of British Sea Power feel. Any comments welcome.

.mp3    the traveling band mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.87 MB)

Nice job man. For my tastes the vocals may be a touch dry, but I liked them, all the same. The mix gets a little thick at the end, but doesn't build up frequencies too badly. . . there's a little mud in there from the gits I think.

Good job all around, though!

Draper
I think it lacks some bottom and some hiend. At the last part, first round, the vocals gets a bit buried under the guitars. I think the mix is alright but don´t really like the overall sonic picture. I suggest you compare/reference your mix to James Bay (not neccessary the hit, there are plenty of nice songs on his album), it´s a pretty nice modern recording. Comparing it to others it isn´t that bright. I think you will like it.
(02-06-2015, 03:00 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Nice job man. For my tastes the vocals may be a touch dry, but I liked them, all the same. The mix gets a little thick at the end, but doesn't build up frequencies too badly. . . there's a little mud in there from the gits I think.

Good job all around, though!

Draper

Thanks very much! I know what you mean about the guitars, maybe it could be solved by a bit of EQing? Will have to try it!
(02-06-2015, 07:59 AM)mange Wrote: I think it lacks some bottom and some hiend. At the last part, first round, the vocals gets a bit buried under the guitars. I think the mix is alright but don´t really like the overall sonic picture. I suggest you compare/reference your mix to James Bay (not neccessary the hit, there are plenty of nice songs on his album), it´s a pretty nice modern recording. Comparing it to others it isn´t that bright. I think you will like it.

Thanks for the feedback! you make some interesting points, I can hear what you mean about the vocals getting a little bit lost. And I agree it could do with a little more low end.
A had a listen to some James Bay - very nice, worm overall sound!
You did a great job, keep going. The trill guitar far right is a distraction. Try it closer to center but in back with reverb or delay and some eq. Get a mental picture of everyone playing and then just pan them to match the picture in your mind. This will help make a lot of decisions easier as far as pan and reverb, eq, etc.
If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.