Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece of Me Mix
Here is my mix for this song. I did not really do any processing at all. Just added a little eq here and there. I tried to bring out the inter play between the bass guitar and kick drum.

Did not do much to guitars as they sounded pretty good just added a high pass filter to clear out room for the bass guitar.

All comments welcome. You may have to turn up the volume as I don't like to squash my mixes very much. Thanks,

Zog

.mp3    Piece of Me.mp3 --  (Download: 12.34 MB)

The drums are a bit thin and the kick sounds too boxy. cut the lower mids from the kick and send the kick, snare and toms to a parallel bus, compress them really hard and use that bus to give the drums more punch. The snare in the bridge at 2:45 is too aggressive - the whole song comes down but the snare sounds like a sample with a fixed volume. I can't hear all the nice ghost notes which is a shame - you have to bring up the snare mics and lower the volume of the snare sample.
Hi Zog,

Overall, I like the general mix balance you have achieved here. I like your work on the guitars, good separation and width. They could possibly benefit from a little more grit around the 3khz region, but that's just my preference. The drums need some work and I do agree with Blitzzz comments. To me, the drums sound a bit like they have a blanket covering them and in some parts of the song, drum parts are suffering from what appears to be some frequency masking. You could rout the toms to an aux/group buss to work on their balance and frequency content to allow them to sit better in the mix. The kick and snare could benefit from some parallel compression, the hihat/cymbals sound fine to me. Good luck and happy mixing Smile

Cheers,
Mick
(01-06-2015, 10:46 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: The drums are a bit thin and the kick sounds too boxy. cut the lower mids from the kick and send the kick, snare and toms to a parallel bus, compress them really hard and use that bus to give the drums more punch. The snare in the bridge at 2:45 is too aggressive - the whole song comes down but the snare sounds like a sample with a fixed volume. I can't hear all the nice ghost notes which is a shame - you have to bring up the snare mics and lower the volume of the snare sample.

Thanks for listening to my mix and the comments, I will go back and work on the drums with some parallel compression and see if I can't bring out the ghost notes on the snare also.

Zog