Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Blues Is A Lady - Olli H
As a reference I listend Chris Whitley's "Poison Girl", some songs from Bonnie Rait's latest CD, and also some Foo Fighters.

.mp3    peter-white-2015-05-26-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.16 MB)

Good mix ! Did you use tuning device ? I have problems in that area as well in timing, if you didnt work in either you did a very good job mixin it to mask those issues.
Respect !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(26-05-2015, 05:35 PM)Voelund Wrote: Good mix ! Did you use tuning device ? I have problems in that area as well in timing, if you didnt work in either you did a very good job mixin it to mask those issues.
Thanks.
Do you mean those out of tune guitars - all of them? I didn't use any tuning. Not with guitars nor with vox. My melodyne doesn't work in my Reaper. (I've abandoned ProTool, or ProTools abandoned my 6 years old mac).
I wasn't especially trying to mask those guitars, but maybe the "out-of-tunes" caused me to bring up more edgyness to them.

About timing. I did use some stretching with guitars here and there. Especially those odd sound guitars in chorus. And as they were so ugly sounding, maybe that was the reason I sent them far behind to space. Otherwise I might have put them on my shoulders.

great sound, Olli! I could easily recognize those 'ugly sound guitars' in chorus. Have you tried to use some amp plugin to change their sound and to sound less strange?

The song has strength, the drums are fantastic and so are those powerful guitars. I didn't find anything to improve. Good job!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
(26-05-2015, 06:17 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: great sound, Olli! I could easily recognize those 'ugly sound guitars' in chorus. Have you tried to use some amp plugin to change their sound and to sound less strange?

The song has strength, the drums are fantastic and so are those powerful guitars. I didn't find anything to improve. Good job!! Smile

Thanks. Why didn't I try amps? I should have. Especially amp speaker might have been a good one to tame that guitar sound.

Great mix.

I like what you did with kick and snare, and overall stereo image.