Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christmas Blues - Olli H
As I listened this song for the first time, it came straight to my mind that I want to do a 50's style sound. My reference was of course Little Richard's "Lucille", the mono version. Although most of the mixing decisions I made in mono state, this mix has some stereo feeling in it.

"Lucille" has extremly focused sound and space. I was unable to do it, but still it was sound that I was after.

.mp3    christmas-blues-2015-05-22-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

Hi, Olli!

Great job with the drums and guitars. I really like them a lot!! there are only a couple of things that caught my attention:

sometimes I can hear plosives in the lead vocal (take a listen at 0:24). Some EQ automation can easily solve that. I also found the sax a little bit honky. I think that a simple -0.5 db around the 2khz area can fix this. I believe that those minor tweeks can make the mix even better Smile
mixing since April 2013
Thanks for listening. Let me know if you ever plan to mix this, so I'll be able to listen your version.
Okay, you win ...

... but that's hardly unexpected. Smile

Great mix. Only thing I would suggest is more time with the deessers. That was a big challenge for me. Probably spent a full hour on just that and ended up using two per vocal, one HP and one BP focused on the worst bit (about 9k on him) and even then, he's hard to handle.

Sounds like you left this mix pretty dry, mostly using the ambiance that was already there?
Old West Audio
THanks
(10-12-2015, 09:55 AM)azwayne Wrote: Great mix. Only thing I would suggest is more time with the deessers. That was a big challenge for me. Probably spent a full hour on just that and ended up using two per vocal, one HP and one BP focused on the worst bit (about 9k on him) and even then, he's hard to handle.

You right about esses. I forgot them as also Little Richard's esses were quite strong. Maybe I should also spend one hour with them. On the other hand, if it's too difficult to me, I'd prefer loud esses than poorly fixed esses.

(10-12-2015, 09:55 AM)azwayne Wrote: Sounds like you left this mix pretty dry, mostly using the ambiance that was already there?
Piano track had quite strong ambience. So I used reverbs only with guitar, sax and voice. And with voice mainly to establish the short distance from the mic.
There's some magical energy in that "Lucille" that I used as a reference. I was after a similar spacious dry sound, but I didn't succeed it the way I wanted to. ( In other words, I failed Smile )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmNe77vces
Everything is done "wrongly" in that version but it still feels like a hit. That's something I'd love to learn: to break every rule and still make it sound magical to target audience.