Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Evans Trio - If You Want My Love (Old Skool Mix)
Very interesting set of multi-tracks to mix. I'm not sure when I last found room mics that really were, um, the room ... and everyone in it jamming together.

My mix treatment falls something between Jazz and Rock, with the kit mixed perhaps more for jazz, but with stereo positioning more as you'd expect for funk/rock.

I learned to love the bleed on all the mics. Couldn't quite get the cymbals to where I wanted them due to the bleed on the vocal mic, but the alternative of automating between phrases was much worse as it killed the sense of the "live room". So you have it warts and all here. In the imaging, and early ambiance, I'm shooting for the feeling of being on the stage with the band, jamming away.

There's no attempt to mix/master at commercial volume on this one. No brickwall limiter on the mix buss. I liked the "unmastered" sound in this case. So turn it up! Cool

Also available in 44.1/16 at:
https://soundcloud.com/jeffd42/alan-evan...nt-my-love

.mp3    If You Want My Love.mp3 --  (Download: 25.22 MB)

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
I tried the automation of the vocal phrases too and it was very unnatural so it easier to embrace the live nature of the track. I did so some limited expansion just to tighten things up a bit. I agree, the rooms mics were a great asset.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]