Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Schoolboy Fascination - Mix attempt
Hi guys,

I know there won't be many answers here, anyway...

Here is my try at mixing this really good song by Al James.

I really enjoyed working on it, first because the stems are of high quality (though pretty hot) and second because the song is really entertaining.

I must say the exercise is helpful in lots of ways, but it lacks the intention of the songwriter about how he wants it to sound. It would be a great addition to add a comment from the songwriter.

Mixed in Cubase Pro 8 with Waves plugins, mostly API, CLA compressors and Renaissance Bundle. I used some string samples from Kontakt. The after touch is provided by Slate FG-X on stereo bus.

After listening to SOS remix, I confess I really like how FG-X optimizes the sound without squashing it. The SOS remix is tiring to my ears.

Feel free to comment ...

Y.

.mp3    SchoolboyFascination.mp3 --  (Download: 6.57 MB)

I think it's a pretty good mix and I like the way you EQed the vocals. Smile
But I would pull the base a bit more in the back and create some space for the kickdrum, so that it don't get lost in the mix... Wink

Keep up the work Smile
Thanks for your appreciation! Indeed it was one of the first 2 mixes I started with and I didn't have proper monitors to listen to. So the balance is not very even sorry about that.

Thanks for your comment ManuGottlieb!
I agree to Manu, the kickdrum sort of gets lost in the low end and in my opinion its a bit too bassy, which makes it sound a bit "dirtier". And the delay on the voice is sort of distracting to me sometimes, but maybe its just me. Apart from that I really liked most of the drums. All in all its a pretty good job you did. Keep it up
Hi Nicolas, thanks for your comment. I totally agree with both of you but ... I am a slow learner and try to get it right before posting something else. I'll be revisiting this mix a bit later.

In fact it's funny that you commented about that today because I am right now struggling with sidechaining kick drum for taming the bass on another mix.

Though a couple months old, I still have in mind Manu's remark and try to correct myself ... Easier said than done!

So here it is! A special for Manu and Nicolas! Big Grin

I had a bit of struggle to get it done ...

I EQed the bass and kick on some overlapping frequencies and added a parrallel compressor to make room for the kick.

I changed the delay to a more subtle one.

I also had to rebalance the final mix because there is less bass now ...

If you have the time, please tell me whether I am on the right track ...

.mp3    SchoolboyFascination (2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.64 MB)

I think this mix is a good improvement
(30-01-2016, 12:12 PM)yangui Wrote: So here it is! A special for Manu and Nicolas! Big Grin

I had a bit of struggle to get it done ...

I EQed the bass and kick on some overlapping frequencies and added a parrallel compressor to make room for the kick.

I changed the delay to a more subtle one.

I also had to rebalance the final mix because there is less bass now ...

If you have the time, please tell me whether I am on the right track ...

Thats much better! Very Good!