Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back Home mix
Didn't spend too long on this one (about 3 hours tops) so didn't have time to correct timings or tunings etc. Main issues were that the drums and guitars just weren't recorded that well - guitars were quite thin and poky and the kick and snare were very dull and lacking attack. I'd also have loved something like a hammond or rhodes filling out the low mid-range a bit.

Anyway, would appreciate your thoughts, thanks for listening.

.mp3    Back Home Matt\'s mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.5 MB)

Hi, Matt!

I'm listening to your mix now. The low end is pretty heavy, especially the bass guitar. I think the bass needs some taming. I would also recommend rolling of the low frequencies from the side signals to make more room for the bass and kick.

The lead vocal could use some EQ in the low mid range to make it sound less boxy.

The solo guitars have too much reverb, and I'd personally prefer to hear them in the center (you could try a micro shifter for a nice stereo effect, and to make them sit in the mix).

Did you EQ the effects (filter out the low and high end)? If you didn't, you could try that - it helps cleaning up the frequencies and will give the instruments more presence while still adding a sense of space.

For me panning the effects returns somewhere opposite to the original source also helps giving every element its place without muddying up the mix.

You seem to have boosted the mids and high frequencies on the drums a lot. To add more weight to the drums, you could instead do some multiband transient shaping and parallel compression. Perhaps it would work if you process the side signals more than the mids to avoid treading on the vocals.

Just some ideas.
Hi there, thanks so much for listening and giving detailed feedback, really appreciated. It's made me a try a few things for the first time, namely using Waves C4 to try and tame the low end of the bass and kick, and also using the C4 and Trans-X Multi on kick and snare to get more punch without overcooking the highs.

I've also cut a bit of mid from the vocal, backed off the treble on overheads and room mix and tweaked the lead guitar fx and pan position how you suggest. All the changes are fairly subtle, but I think this is probably as good as I'm going to get this one without quite a lot more work which I don't really have time for!

Thanks again for the critique.

.mp3    Back home Matt\'s mix v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.38 MB)

Ah listening back I'm still not happy with the snare - I think if I combined the old one with the new it'd probably be OK! But I'm going to leave this and move on, it's been useful practice.
The song sure isn't easy to mix. I agree that the recording quality is a big challenge.

I'll listen to your second version later - too tired now.