Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really enjoyed working on this song
Such a wonderful, catchy tune. Absolutely love the vocals and the delivery. Filled with so much emotion. It was the main thing that I wanted to capture and highlight in my mix and to make sure that none of her words got lost to the listener.

Also managed to resist the urge to crush everything to bits and instead left it with a fair bit of dynamic range considering the style of music.

.mp3    DevilsWords.mp3 --  (Download: 7.46 MB)

Hi there, good overall balance on this, drums sound pretty good. One issue you've got though is that listening on headphones (and confirmed on spectrum analyser) you have a LOT of super-low rubbish rumbling around 20-40Hz, I think on the kick primarily but maybe bass as well. If you boost a lot of low-end on a kick you'd do well to also put a steep hi-pass filter on it at about 40Hz. The 'meat' of the kick is around 70-80Hz but if you just put a massive low-shelf around there you'll also boost a lot of stuff that you won't hear on most speakers but will cause loss of headroom and muck up any stereo bus compression. Hope that helps, cheers, Matt
(02-06-2015, 12:22 AM)londonmatt Wrote: Hi there, good overall balance on this, drums sound pretty good. One issue you've got though is that listening on headphones (and confirmed on spectrum analyser) you have a LOT of super-low rubbish rumbling around 20-40Hz, I think on the kick primarily but maybe bass as well. If you boost a lot of low-end on a kick you'd do well to also put a steep hi-pass filter on it at about 40Hz. The 'meat' of the kick is around 70-80Hz but if you just put a massive low-shelf around there you'll also boost a lot of stuff that you won't hear on most speakers but will cause loss of headroom and muck up any stereo bus compression. Hope that helps, cheers, Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for listening and for taking the time to give feedback. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've not been on the forums for a while and only actually just saw this post from you today.

I can't actually remember details of this mix as it has been a while. Surprised that there is a lot of 20-40 in there as I don't use EQ to boost when mixing. I work using subtractive EQ and I high pass everything including kick drum and bass. Never been shy about that :-)

I will keep your advice in mind though.