Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My attempt at Angels in Amplifiers - I'm Alright mix
Heres my go, it was done entirely in headphones so please go easy on me.

Cheers

Edit: You are going to want to turn it up as it isn't compressed heavily, and has no mastering/limiting on the mix buss.

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - I\'m Alright (Mixed By Will Louch).mp3 --  (Download: 5.06 MB)

Any and all constructive criticism/feedback is much appreciated Smile
please guys help me, how can i do to send my mix?
Start your own thread and add an attachment (it will say new attachment), locate your mix in mp3 format and attach it to your post. Let it upload, then publish your new post.
Hi there, I think this is pretty good, vocal is nice and up-front (maybe de-essing overdone just a touch?). My main bugbear is with the snare, it sounds like you've added so much room reverb it's massively wide - almost sounds like it's coming solely through the side channels and not the centre. I think for a song and style like this you could afford for it to be much dryer and tighter to help it sit right in the middle. Hope that helps, cheers Matt
I agree with the snare completely, had far too little snare mic in with the overheads, so most of that snare sound is OHs.

I didn't de ess the vocals at all, I could probably add a little air in though. I am also aware that some low mids are lacking in some instrumental parts.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated
Ah right, yes that makes sense re the snare. I've had a go at this one and tried notching out the main resonant ring on the snare - once that was done it was possible to get it nice and punchy. If you go back to this one I reckon you could bring back some top-end on the lead guitar sections - annoyingly they're mixed in with the rhythm guitar, but I still chopped out the lead bits and put them onto another track so I could deal with them differently. Might be worth a try? Cheers, Matt
Hello
To me it sounds like all instruments are in the middle I would spread the sound, particulary the guitars, more separated to left and right. :-) I think it would change the whole picture to the better :-)
Thanks all.
Hey there.
The first thing I noticed, as someone earlier pointed out, was that, yes, the snare is too wide for this song. Better to bring up the snare mic. You can get a lot of smack if you decide to parallel compress your snare/kick (properly).
Apart from that, the vocals aren't sitting with the mix too well. They're a bit too forward and bright sounding in comparison to everything else. The easier suggestion would be to dull them down to bring them back a bit, but they have a fairly exciting vibe to them. So it might be better to go back and try to bring on the excitement in the other instruments as well.
Keep it up!