Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free
Hey guy's,

This is my first ever mix
so I would be happy to get comments.

My all mix process is only "in the box".
My daw is Cubase, I haven't used any stock VST except compressor for side chaining kick-bass.

Enjoy!

.mp3    PATRICK.mp3 --  (Download: 11.23 MB)

Hey granik1, pretty good for a first mix ever!
I would have thought that side chain compressing is not a technique that newbie usually use though, so you've clearly learned a bit about that before at least Wink
A few things that could be better IMHO:
- the loop during the verse is much too loud, especially vs the vocal
- the drums (snare in particular has too much smack for the genre) are overly compressed, also the cymbals are ringing like crazy, which means that you've probably over compressed the overheads... I hear some distortion as well, I think you went too far with that. Try getting a good sound out of the overheads/rooms mics first without compression, then bring in the close mics, then a little bit of parallel compression maybe on the drum bus would be better to keep a more natural sound
- the solo keyboard sound distant, it doesn't have the authority and presence of a lead instrument, I guess you've used some delay/reverb, so I would try to make it less wet and bring it more forward...
- the lead guitar solo is also lacking presence. In general, I think the lead instruments need to step forward in the mix, right now it's the opposite.
Anyway, all of these are nitpicks and your mix is quite good for a first! Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here