Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

I occasionally get asked why the tambourine and kick drum tracks on this multitrack are out of time, so I figured I'd post the answer here for posterity! The short answer is that it's deliberate, and editing those parts is part of the challenge of this multitrack.

The long answer is that when I originally worked on this song for Mix Rescue, I extensively edited the original files to create the first-draft mix I sent to Timo, but then he overdubbed new kick and tambourine parts against my edited mix. When it came to exporting the full multitrack, I figured it was much more useful for people if I provided Timo's original raw multitracks, rather than my edited versions, so that they could deal with the same issues I did and come up with their own solutions freely. Because I ended up bouncing many of my editing/tuning solutions down (as I often to, to effectively freeze them) it's not possible to bounce out my retimed versions without solving a bunch of the mix's problems automatically -- and in the way I chose to tackle them, which ties people's hands in terms of trying out their own strategies.

Of course, that means that the drum and tambourine overdubs are then out of time, so have to be edited to match the unedited takes if you want to use them as is. To be honest, though, whether those tracks were in time or not, I'd still expect people to edit them fairly extensively to introduce a greater degree of musical dynamics -- as indeed I did in my version.