Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Hi Bronze Radio Return,

I’m a 16 year old high school student taking a song mixing course and would really appreciate some feedback on my mix of Mister, Mister. It’s a great song and I’d love to know if what I’ve done comes close to what you were going for. In my mind the use of airiness in the whole piece, due to it being recorded live helped develop my understanding of the meaning of the song and lyrics. Also the use of echo on the claps added a certain essence of fullness. Overall I enjoyed the song very much and it intrigued me to become a consistent listener of your other works. Thanks for sharing your tracks on http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm!

All the best, Ben Nixon

.mp3    LAME mp3 320.MP3 --  (Download: 11.27 MB)

Hi Ben,

Well done for posting a mix. Just wanted to leave a couple of comments, hopefully constructive Smile

First impression was that some of the drum tracks (sounded like the overhead_R track) were too loud - so just work at getting a better balance between this and the rest of the drum kit (eg kick was much quieter) and the other non-drum tracks. It was hard to hear the other instruments with those loud drums. Vocals came over well. I thought you dealt with the excessive brightness (around 4k) of the lead vocal really well.

The overall level of your mix was quite low. While you don't want to overload the mix bus, you probably want to be aiming for a higher level than what you've done. And better to do this during the mix with individual channel faders than just slapping some kind of volume gain on the master bus.

Hope that gives you something to work on!

Cheers
Thank you very much for the advice and constructive criticism, I will take it with pleasure and use it to work on my mix to make it sound overall better.

Thank you again,
Ben Nixon
Best thing you can do with this website is to listen to as many mixes (not just from this song!) as you can, and listen to them deeply. How is the snare sitting in the mix? Can you understand the vocal? Is the overall tonality of the music appealing? Does it sound like a guitar or a shoebox with rubber bands wrapped around?

Then comment! Point out things that don't sound/feel right... Chances are, you're probably right. Mixing music becomes easy when you understand that EVERYONE knows what a good mix sounds like... We've all been listening to them our entire lives. Give feedback, ask questions, and post your mixes... You're guaranteed to get feedback in return, and it will almost always be useful.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!