Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Evans Trio,Im comin home
Nice live track,really funky,enjoyed mixing even though there are alot of bleed from other tracks of coarse thats part of the sound,please leave comments good or bad,i will give my comments to others once my ears has reset,thanks.

.mp3    im coming home.mp3 --  (Download: 8.07 MB)

Love that snare sound, man. Your cymbals may be a little bright when the drummer is riding them. I like the phase coherency of your drums. How did you clean up the phase issue with the vox? I had a bitch of a time.

Good stereo image, nice balance, I like it over all.

Nice!

Draper
Hi loweche6 glad you like my mix,all i did was I pressed my phase button on my vocal and drums track,you've got to remember that nearly all the instruments have bleeds.
Just a simple phase flip? Crazy. Maybe my EQ messed with my phase too much, so even though I flipped my phase switch (many times, and tried to time correct it) I probably just had to change my processing.

Sometimes I just shoot myself in the foot, I guess
Lol! yeah its sometimes that easy and there are some plugins that can add a weird sound as you rightly said.
I am new to live mixing. How in the world do you mix something like this?
It's all about cleaning spill and constant phase checking. You have to make a lot of compromises to how you want a singular instrument to sound, versus how the tones of the other instruments are affected when you change the quality of the instrument. Start just by throwing your faders up and getting your hands dirty. Listen to the piece and it should tell you to what kind of processing it needs.

Have fun mixing!
(04-05-2015, 12:51 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Nice live track,really funky,enjoyed mixing even though there are alot of bleed from other tracks of coarse thats part of the sound,please leave comments good or bad,i will give my comments to others once my ears has reset,thanks.

how did you start this project and what are the tools you used?
Hi jesus79 I started on the drums checking for any phasing issues, then basically went through all the instruments, you have to remember that there are alot of mic bleeds from other instruments, then I just tried to imagine that I was listening to the band live in a arena, glad you like it.
Hi!
Overall the mix is really nice. The only two things I would fix is to pull the bass down by a dB and make those cymbals less hash (a good way that I've learned lately is to put a multiband compressor on the drums and give a light compression on the uppre highs with a short attack and a very long release - thgis usually gets the job done)
Also consider more automation especially when some track plays the solo part - it should be more pronounced.
The keys are buried in the mix too much when their solo comes to play.

Happy mixing!

Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio