Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayfairing Stranger
I don't get to mix enough jazz. This tune wasn't tough, let the players do the work. Was going for the old school jazz feel of barely having the drums in the mix. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Draper

P.S.

No panning on sax and piano, but I did use the Haas Effect. I think it worked well.

.mp3    Wayfairing Stranger.mp3 --  (Download: 11.66 MB)

Had a listen on my hifi ,sounds nice and translates well.
Nice work
Hi there,
I like very much the fact that you got a good double bass sound from a couple of tricky bass tracks. Where I tried to boost the mid-freqs, the ambience of the bass amp track came too prominently as muddy.
So there's some muffling in you bass but I believe it's the compromise.

Something else I may be worth commenting (but I'm not fully sure if it's just volume balance) is trying to have an aligned dynamic range for all instruments: it seems the vox is well solidly (over?) compressed and the other instruments are "shy". I typically have a rounds of compression levels checks on busses to see how far each hits the compressor(s) throughout the song to avoid unbalances, and also re-check the holds (where applicable) and releases of the comps.
Of this unbalance the result may be that while the saliva is heard moving in the vox, the rimshot is lost in space behind with little ambience.

I'm a bit drastic here with the example. Just trying to help.
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(30-04-2015, 10:09 PM)Lammy Wrote: Hi there,
I like very much the fact that you got a good double bass sound from a couple of tricky bass tracks. Where I tried to boost the mid-freqs, the ambience of the bass amp track came too prominently as muddy.
So there's some muffling in you bass but I believe it's the compromise.

Something else I may be worth commenting (but I'm not fully sure if it's just volume balance) is trying to have an aligned dynamic range for all instruments: it seems the vox is well solidly (over?) compressed and the other instruments are "shy". I typically have a rounds of compression levels checks on busses to see how far each hits the compressor(s) throughout the song to avoid unbalances, and also re-check the holds (where applicable) and releases of the comps.
Of this unbalance the result may be that while the saliva is heard moving in the vox, the rimshot is lost in space behind with little ambience.

I'm a bit drastic here with the example. Just trying to help.
cheers
Just read now you were for "old school" drums in the back. my comment above may apply to "new school" approach ;-)
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Interesting that you didn't pan sax and piano, they're sitting exactly where they should be in this mix. Would like to hear a little more of the drums and less vocal but it's a really good mix.
Decided to bring the drums up a touch, and eq the vox a little more. Maybe the kick is a touch too prominent now?

Draper

.mp3    Wayfairing Stranger 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.65 MB)