Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Let Go_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Angel

This is a cool tune....simple, melodic....nice! I took great care in trying to make the mix really stand out and be heard, so to speak. I must have put 20 or more man-hours into this song. I learned so much from some of you with your great comments and suggestions. The mix below is probably the "final mix" (LOL....I'll bet you've all said that a hundred times), but knowing me, I might go in there and try to get it even better. Let me know what you think. Feedback welcome.

Tom
Mixed "in the box" with Cubase 5, various plugs, etc.

*UPDATE: 4/30/15 - The mix below is the final mix (hopefully....lol). I deleted the others. This one I am VERY happy with and I feel I got rid of all the little things that were bugging me and some other frequent users of this site who gave me some great feedback and advice that I took & used to learn and improve....for that I am grateful. :-) In this final mix, I think I achieved a overall nice full balance, kept the bass under control, the vocal clear and controlled, and the width and breath of the whole mix seems nice. Let me know what'cha think of THIS mix.

Tommy Marcinek

.mp3    Don\'t Let Go_9_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Enjoyed listening to your Mix,Sounds Great I love the Space and Depth !
One thing that jumps out,some low frequencies are peaking in the vocals in some words only around 160-300 hz area.
Not sure if clashing with the bass ?
I found this cool clip on how to keep frequencies under control without eqing, any multiband compressor will do the trick !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3yU14xpJ8
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(29-04-2015, 08:47 AM)thedon Wrote: Enjoyed listening to your Mix,Sounds Great I love the Space and Depth !
One thing that jumps out,some low frequencies are peaking in the vocals in some words only around 160-300 hz area.
I found this cool clip on how to keep frequencies under control without eqing, any multiband compressor will do the trick !
Cheers Big Grin

Hey thedon,

Thanks for the compliment and the video tip. Glad you liked my mix overall...gonna take a look at it the video link you posted now.

Peace,

Tom

(29-04-2015, 12:06 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(29-04-2015, 08:47 AM)thedon Wrote: Enjoyed listening to your Mix,Sounds Great I love the Space and Depth !
Cheers Big Grin

Hey thedon,

Thanks for the compliment and the video tip. Glad you liked my mix overall...gonna take a look at it the video link you posted now.

Peace,

Tom

UPDATE: Just watched the whole video....Tony Maserati...well, there ya go! VERY informative video....can't wait to start using a multiband for this purpose....THANKS again!!! Oh, and I know that Mike Senior had recommended this procedure too. For some reason, I had put that technique on the back burner but now I intend to use it for everything, every kind of instrument, vocal, etc. It's a great technique!!

Tom

Hi Tommy. Liked the mix. Like the width and the interest created by the rhythm section. Lead guitar sounds nice and smooth.
Not sure if the vocals are a bit heavy on the bottom end, or maybe it needs a little volume automation. Seems to get a bit lost in the lower frequencies.
Bass might be a touch too loud adding to the vocal problem.
Overall ... pretty nice mix for my old ears.
To TheDon and ThirdParty.....

I used the technique recommend by thedon, which is a Tony Maserati technique using a multiband on the vox. I hope you guys like this better. Added a little symbal at the end as it fades. Also slightly boosted (1.4db) in the upper range on the vox as Tony recommended as well....this is "after" the de-essing which makes the vox really crisp yet no real affect on siblance. Let me know what ya think.

Tommy
(29-04-2015, 01:15 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: To TheDon and ThirdParty.....

I used the technique recommend by thedon, which is a Tony Maserati technique using a multiband on the vox. I hope you guys like this better. Added a little symbal at the end as it fades. Also slightly boosted (1.4db) in the upper range on the vox as Tony recommended as well....this is "after" the de-essing which makes the vox really crisp yet no real affect on siblance. Let me know what ya think.

Tommy
Sounds lovely,
I love to learn from you guys and share different techniques and ideas on this great Site Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Tommy. I like the presence and clarity that comes out in the second version.
Cheers.... Perry
(29-04-2015, 03:14 PM)thedon Wrote:
(29-04-2015, 01:15 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: To TheDon and ThirdParty.....

Tommy
Sounds lovely,
I love to learn from you guys and share different techniques and ideas on this great Site Big Grin !

Absolutely agree.....have learned so much because of this site. Mike Senior is a genius and very generous....his book is awesome too!! Thanks again for the multiband tip, thedon, and I'll tel you what....there is no reason on earth not to use it for any instrument that's giving problems too. I might go in there with this song and try it on the bass (some notes jump out, although upright basses are like that in real life), and I also might try a side-chain compression ducking on the bass triggered by the vocal to see if that does anything cool like making sure the bass doesn't ever clash with the vocal, etc. So many things to try. :-)

Tom

(29-04-2015, 03:48 PM)Third Party Wrote: Tommy. I like the presence and clarity that comes out in the second version.
Cheers.... Perry

Perry, thanks man.....really appreciate it.

Tom