Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Time Mix
Did a mix of Good Time. Great track, had a lot of fun with it. Comments and suggestions welcome!

.mp3    Good Time Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

Really like the drum sounds and the effects on the the lead guitar. Miss some of the secondary instruments in the mix though.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(26-04-2015, 09:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Really like the drum sounds and the effects on the the lead guitar. Miss some of the secondary instruments in the mix though.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Could you be more specific in regards to the secondary instruments?

Do you have a transient shaper on the snare? If so I wonder if you're overdoing it a little bit, the snare is SO punchy it seems out of context with the rest of the kit, the hihat in particular is lost in comparison. Maybe tame that a bit and drop the snare back a touch in the mix, punch up the kick a bit and see if feels a bit more balanced overall. Hope that helps.
(14-05-2015, 03:58 PM)londonmatt Wrote: Do you have a transient shaper on the snare? If so I wonder if you're overdoing it a little bit, the snare is SO punchy it seems out of context with the rest of the kit, the hihat in particular is lost in comparison. Maybe tame that a bit and drop the snare back a touch in the mix, punch up the kick a bit and see if feels a bit more balanced overall. Hope that helps.

I'm not familiar with the term "transient shaper". I used compression, EQ and reverb on the snare, nothing out of the ordinary. Other feedback I've received on the mix also suggested that the snare was too loud/forward and that the hi-hat was a bit lost/disjointed from the kit. I indeed felt that the hi-hat wasn't blending that well while I was mixing but quite frankly, I wasn't exactly sure what to do about it. I probably liked the way the snare was sounding too much which led to making it louder than it probably should have been.

I truly appreciate you listening and taking the time to provide feedback. This forum rocks!

A transient shaper/designer is a plugin that either accentuates or reduces the initial attack of the note (or most likely, hit - you'd typically only use it on drums). Bittersweet Flux is a FREE plugin that does that beautifully, you can get it here http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewar...ersweet-v3 - basically turn the dial right to "bitter" for more attack, turn it left to "sweet" for less.

I love the attack you've got on the snare though and it would be a shame to lose it - could you parallel what you've got? i.e. copy the snare track and have one version as processed as you've got it, and one version dry, then balance the levels so you get a good mix between punchy compressed snare and fat natural snare? Might be worth trying. Cheers, Matt
(15-05-2015, 09:00 AM)londonmatt Wrote: A transient shaper/designer is a plugin that either accentuates or reduces the initial attack of the note (or most likely, hit - you'd typically only use it on drums). Bittersweet Flux is a FREE plugin that does that beautifully, you can get it here http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewar...ersweet-v3 - basically turn the dial right to "bitter" for more attack, turn it left to "sweet" for less.

I love the attack you've got on the snare though and it would be a shame to lose it - could you parallel what you've got? i.e. copy the snare track and have one version as processed as you've got it, and one version dry, then balance the levels so you get a good mix between punchy compressed snare and fat natural snare? Might be worth trying. Cheers, Matt

Thank you for the link to Bittersweet Flux and the suggestion for improving the snare mix. When I have the opportunity to return to "Good Time" I will give those things a try. Your feedback is much appreciated.