Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Great song, great shouter, good riffs - was a blast to mix =)
Plugins are very good today like slate etc but you would hear the difference mixing on a desk.
Not that expensive pauli I can have an ssl room in London for 4 hours for £60 and that included real Fairchild and other nice hardwear.
ahhh, man, it's great you have access to something like that. from what I've been led to believe by my peers here, the only studios in my area with really nice analog gear are so booked up that you've either got to know a guy who'll let you in on the nights/weekends or dump a lot of money to rent the room. The closest one I know of won't rent a room to an amateur at any price... it's a shame because the apprenticeship culture just isn't there anymore. One guy got quoted a hundred bucks an hour and my curiosity faded quickly lol.

I've not mixed on a desk before, so I only understand what's involved academically, but I'm quite sure I don't yet have the skill to turn out a mix worth 400 dollars in 4 hours Tongue Almost everyone I know who has had the opportunity thought it was a lot more fun than an ITB mix, though, and they were really happy with their results.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
People who have not mixed on a ssl will tell you plugins are as good lol. I work for a man that has an ssl studio.The difference is massive, so if you want to think a few slate plugins add up to that lol .Nothing like it

I can get a track summed for£15.00 . people who tell you plugins are just as good as hardwear lol, I don't care what they say.
I don't have a desk at my hand so I don't care if it sounds better. What matters to me is that I know how to use the tools that I have and learn to use them to my advantage - and hopefully make better mixes as a result. No one can stop the technological progress and that's generally a good thing for people like us. I don't care about big names with big expensive SSL desks who murn about the fact that you can mix with a laptop and headphones and NO normal listener in the world will tell the difference. It's not my fault that their business model is not working anymore because more and more people start mixing their own music.

What I know: If you do a blind A/B test no one can tell if a song was mixed in the box or on a desk. If you do a blind A/B test between a hardware unit and a plugin no one can tell what is software and what is hardware. Try it for yourself: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho...ight=slate
I had the same discussion with some guitarrists I know after I bought my kemper. "It can't sound like a REAL tube amp!" "I will tell the difference no matter what you say!". We did A/B tests while I profiled some of my amps and they didn't even noticed that I was constantly switching the sound from real amp with real cab with real mic to the profiled sound. So they not only failed to tell what's the real amp and the kemper - they even failed to hear a difference AT ALL. Of course they still do BELIEVE that their expensive tube amps are superior because they paid 5.000 Euros and more for their gear. But now we are talking about feelings, not something you can actucally hear.

So why should I care about stuff I that's waaaayyyyyy to expensive, that I don't have and obviously don't need if no one is able to tell the difference in a blind test? Like 99,99999% of the people I´m not mixing and recording for a living. It's my hobby and the fact that I record and mix the songs of my band has saved us thousands and thousands of euros. Nobody told us: "Wow, I like your music but it sounds digital. Please remix it on a ssl desk."
Somewhere recently I read an article about a study conducted on what mix listeners preferred on a wide range of materials, and the researchers concluded that listeners preference was mostly dependent on genre and instrumentation, but it was still closer to 50/50 than most people would guess. Anything with lots of heavy drums or distorted guitars, people tended to prefer all analog mixes summed through a desk, but acoustic music and classical music leaned toward all digital mixes bounced right out of pro-tools.

Makes sense, though, because analog=distortion. Whether that distortion sounds better is dependent on context and taste?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
most people will listen to music on earbuds, so the whole analog/digital discussion seems a little "over the top" Smile
Good solid mix.
What, in your opinion, is a decent starter plugin like the slate stuff.
Been looking at the Waves API.
The raw multitracks are proper clean. Good track to work with.
We should run our own Top 10 mixes on each discussion/song.
You sir would be in the top 3 easy.
James, London
Thx James, glad you like it.
Decent starter plugins? Hard to say, really, because after 5 years I have realised that it's all about workflow and nothing else. There is no magic bullet that will make your mix sound great. Dozens of very small decision make a mix great, and automation plays a huge role too.

Ignore people who tell you that "this compressor" or "this eq" is the best in the world. Thats crap. A good friend told me to buy UAD stuff when I started and so I spend thousands of euros for UAD hardware & plugins - and I rarely use them today. same goes with waves. I have 20+ Waves plugins and I would sell them immediately if someone wants them.

I mix most of my stuff with Slate plugins these days. So my advice would be:

- Spend 299 Dollar for the slate everything bundle and you get all his stuff plus a fantastic reverb for one year. The Comps are nice, the EQs are nice, VCC and VTM are great plugins that will help you get better mixes. Plus you get new stuff every few weeks. 300 Dollar is a joke and if you decide to stop doing this you dont sit on a pile of plugins that are nothing worth anymore.
- go and buy Eiosis Air EQ. It's transparent, the presets are a huge help for starters (they are not really presets - just starting points for a lot of instruments to cut or boost stuff)
- and you can't go wrong with the fabfilter plugins. With Pro EQ and Pro C you have all you need if you dont need that special "something" that slate plugins have.

I would never ever again buy plugins from waves (horrible customer support) and UAD (way too expensive). If I could start from scratch I would buy the fab stuff, the slate bundle and some special plugins like AirEQ and some other tools and use the stock plugins from cubase for the rest.
(27-02-2016, 09:50 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Decent starter plugins? Hard to say, really, because after 5 years I have realised that it's all about workflow and nothing else. There is no magic bullet that will make your mix sound great. Dozens of very small decision make a mix great, and automation plays a huge role too.

Ignore people who tell you that "this compressor" or "this eq" is the best in the world. Thats crap. A good friend told me to buy UAD stuff when I started and so I spend thousands of euros for UAD hardware & plugins - and I rarely use them today. same goes with waves. I have 20+ Waves plugins and I would sell them immediately if someone wants them.

I mix most of my stuff with Slate plugins these days. So my advice would be:

- Spend 299 Dollar for the slate everything bundle and you get all his stuff plus a fantastic reverb for one year. The Comps are nice, the EQs are nice, VCC and VTM are great plugins that will help you get better mixes. Plus you get new stuff every few weeks. 300 Dollar is a joke and if you decide to stop doing this you dont sit on a pile of plugins that are nothing worth anymore.
- go and buy Eiosis Air EQ. It's transparent, the presets are a huge help for starters (they are not really presets - just starting points for a lot of instruments to cut or boost stuff)
- and you can't go wrong with the fabfilter plugins. With Pro EQ and Pro C you have all you need if you dont need that special "something" that slate plugins have.

I would never ever again buy plugins from waves (horrible customer support) and UAD (way too expensive). If I could start from scratch I would buy the fab stuff, the slate bundle and some special plugins like AirEQ and some other tools and use the stock plugins from cubase for the rest.

Can't thank you enough blitz. Cheers. I'm aware of those plugins...been doing a lot of enquiries into it all. So many plugins to sway you...like a seedy little bloke in an Amsterdam whore house. Like the solo function in Fab Eq to find nasty elements for cutting. Thats a plus.
My dream is to own everything Sonnox Oxford do. Again just a dream.
UAD are the big boys in the playground without a doubt. But way too expensive for a start up studio.

Great mix though. If your not earning money mixing for a day job I'm shocked.