Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
Hi everyone,
this is my mix of the song Angelsaint

any comment is welcome!

\<.

.mp3    Triviul_Angelsaint_kappe307mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.8 MB)

Really nice. It might be a tad heavy in the sub-bass frequencies.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(04-10-2013, 05:20 PM)bmullen Wrote: Really nice. It might be a tad heavy in the sub-bass frequencies.

Thanks bmullen,
yes, it might be a bit heavy on the bass, but I tried it on various monitor (and crappy) systems and I always seemed to punch in the way I like it. To be safe I'll try it on other systems!
Thank you very much!

\<.
Very clean and dry mix. The bas is a bit big and at first I thought it dominated the mix too much, but then I thought - Beatles Abbey Road, and that big bas sound somehow made sence. Maybe half a dB down would do the trick.
I attacked this one quit diffrently as I remember, I kinda like your approach of mixin without audible verbs.
Thx for sharing !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(04-10-2013, 06:00 PM)Voelund Wrote: Very clean and dry mix. The bas is a bit big and at first I thought it dominated the mix too much, but then I thought - Beatles Abbey Road, and that big bas sound somehow made sence. Maybe half a dB down would do the trick.
I attacked this one quit diffrently as I remember, I kinda like your approach of mixin without audible verbs.
Thx for sharing !

Hi Voelund,
thanks for your comment, the bass is heavy, as bmullen said, but in a way that I like, it helps make the sound full and warm in my opinion in this mix. I love the beatles sound Wink
And I like "dry" mixes like you! The verb is here, but a bit hidden Wink
Thank you very much for your opinion!

\<.
As the others have already posted, this is a very nice, clean mix. You've got a good instinct for balance in general, I think, and I didn't find myself thinking "Oh, I wish i could hear that better" about anything, which is always a bit of a juggling act. The sounds all seem good and clear as well, and I loved the little delay spin on "No poetry..." -- wish I'd thought of that myself! Smile Not as convinced by the 'radio vocal' on the final pre-chorus, though. It seems a bit too small, and then the chorus vocal seems too big by comparison, where I'd not felt that up until that point.

In general, though, my main feeling about what you've done is that it's excellent on its own terms... but it nonetheless doesn't seem like quite the right approach for this music. You've created something beautiful, but rather conservative, whereas this music feels like it should rejoice in its rough edges more, and take more risks. To some extent the clues to this are in the multitrack itself -- the strings are deliberately thin and reedy-sounding; the SFX are deliberately disconcerting, full of burbles, chain noises, and random dissonances; the octave-doubling in the choruses is deliberately rather an odd and exposed vocal texture; the drums are claustrophobic; the bass twists like an eel. Clearly, every mix engineer is completely entitled to developing their own vision for any multitrack, but it just feels to me as if you're fighting the inherent nature of the raw materials maybe a little too much.

Thanks for posting, though -- whatever my own emotional reactions, I always love hearing a new take on this material! Smile
(05-10-2013, 12:29 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: As the others have already posted, this is a very nice, clean mix. You've got a good instinct for balance in general, I think, and I didn't find myself thinking "Oh, I wish i could hear that better" about anything, which is always a bit of a juggling act. The sounds all seem good and clear as well, and I loved the little delay spin on "No poetry..." -- wish I'd thought of that myself! Smile Not as convinced by the 'radio vocal' on the final pre-chorus, though. It seems a bit too small, and then the chorus vocal seems too big by comparison, where I'd not felt that up until that point.

In general, though, my main feeling about what you've done is that it's excellent on its own terms... but it nonetheless doesn't seem like quite the right approach for this music. You've created something beautiful, but rather conservative, whereas this music feels like it should rejoice in its rough edges more, and take more risks. To some extent the clues to this are in the multitrack itself -- the strings are deliberately thin and reedy-sounding; the SFX are deliberately disconcerting, full of burbles, chain noises, and random dissonances; the octave-doubling in the choruses is deliberately rather an odd and exposed vocal texture; the drums are claustrophobic; the bass twists like an eel. Clearly, every mix engineer is completely entitled to developing their own vision for any multitrack, but it just feels to me as if you're fighting the inherent nature of the raw materials maybe a little too much.

Thanks for posting, though -- whatever my own emotional reactions, I always love hearing a new take on this material! Smile

Thanks Mike!
I understand your point of view and I'll keep it serious consideration in the next mixes of this kind of music that I will have to deal with.
I got carried away by my emotions and vision of the mix in my head.
I soon realized that in this work you never stop learning! Smile
Thank you very much for your advice!

\<.