Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Actions - Devil's Word (Christian Semilla's Mix)
Actions - Devil's Word (Christian Semilla's Mix)

Music and Lyrics: Action
Mixing and Mastering: Christian Semilla

So here's my take on Action's awesome track "Devil's Word".

Any thoughts on this one? I know that there's a LOT of room for improvement down here so any constructive criticisms are welcome.

.mp3    Actions - Devils Words Mixed and Mastered by Christian Semilla.mp3 --  (Download: 7.51 MB)

Hi Christian.

I think that you managed to get good separation and decent balance in your mix. I like that you've not buried her vocals and that they really stand out (without sticking out) as, for me, this is the focus of the song.

The main criticism I have is that it feels that you've chased loudness and crushed a lot of the dynamics out. I'm pretty sure that I can hear some unwanted distortion in the louder parts of the vocals.

Couple other things are that I feel that the kick drum is lost in the mix. It has no weight behind it. Needs to compliment that snare (which you've got a decent sound on) to give the track it's rhythm.

For the part in the song where she is singing with just a single guitar behind her (2:22), I'd recommend automating the vocal level down to match the quieter instrumentation. If you listen to that section as it is, when it goes in to what should be the "big climax" (final chorus) and everything should get bigger, her vocal actually goes down in volume so the pay off isn't there.

Overall, I feel that you've gotten more right than wrong so well done on your work so far Smile
Hey Christian,

I partly agree with VinayJD here, but i think your kick sticks out way too much, but in a wrong way. I think the bassguitar is giving the lows of the kicks a little bit of trouble. Try too subtract a little around 60-80Hz in the bass to give the lows of the kick more room. And why i think the kick is sticking out is because the 'Click' sound of the kick is way too loud AND too low (huh?). It sounds like it is around 1kHz, but i prefer a cleaner click around 4kHz. AND it is less disturbing for the other tracks for example vox and guitars.

I like the character you give this song. Very agressive, pulled that of nicely. Only clean things up a bit (y)

Robin.
This sounds so freakin crispy and clean. Great job. The only thing I have to say would be to turn the volume down on the guitars. Tighten up the kick a little. Let her lead the song. One of the best mixes I have heard on here though.
I like this mix , but there are some things i would go back in and check., i think the bass could be turned up a little bit , i think its lacking low end . every once in a while i hear some bad distortion , i think its the toms , the low end in the guitars or parts of the vocals. hard to pin point . but other then that it sounds good to me !

Keep up the mixing , if you have time give mine a listen to and some feedback if you have any time !
honestly this mix sounds way too harsh. i just came from listening to Boulevard of Broken Dreams (green day, mixed by CLA, and i find this mix to be on the harsher side) and this mix made me jump (unfortunately in a bad way). it is really fatiguing on the ears. i think you got a good balance here between all the tracks, but the tonal balance is way off for my taste. Too much mid taken out and a bit heavy on the compression. Try being a little more subtle with all your mixing moves
Hey dude...the elements are nicely balanced and the vocals sit great, but there's some serious distortion/clipping going on in parts from everything being turned up way too loud. It also feels like there's a lot of sound around 2k, which gives it this kind of pinched feeling.

Thanks for posting!