Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing Ships - manuke straight mix
Thanks for the great tracks.

.mp3    trav.mp3 --  (Download: 5.75 MB)

Nice work...really smooth mix. Easy to listen to. Well balanced.
Good work on this one! Nice job on getting the different elements to pop up, also the mix is moving forward and keeping the listener interested till the end.
Hey thanks guys for the feedback.
Vocal is nice, everything else seems a little blurry and moving around the stereo field a lot. sort of a wide surround kind of thing going on, but the vocals clear and present in the center. Also is the snare panned a little left? Doesn't sound bad but you usually don't hear the kick and snare panned. Balances feel nice.
(29-04-2015, 09:18 PM)paulcjohnson Wrote: Vocal is nice, everything else seems a little blurry and moving around the stereo field a lot. sort of a wide surround kind of thing going on, but the vocals clear and present in the center. Also is the snare panned a little left? Doesn't sound bad but you usually don't hear the kick and snare panned. Balances feel nice.

Thanks for having a listen Paul, great you're leaving so much feedback too. I see what you mean about the snare, but pretty sure it's panned centre, or it should be, but I do have the ac gtr panned a little to the left of it, dunno if that's what you're hearing?
(02-05-2015, 04:21 AM)manuke Wrote:
(29-04-2015, 09:18 PM)paulcjohnson Wrote: Vocal is nice, everything else seems a little blurry and moving around the stereo field a lot. sort of a wide surround kind of thing going on, but the vocals clear and present in the center. Also is the snare panned a little left? Doesn't sound bad but you usually don't hear the kick and snare panned. Balances feel nice.

Thanks for having a listen Paul, great you're leaving so much feedback too. I see what you mean about the snare, but pretty sure it's panned centre, or it should be, but I do have the ac gtr panned a little to the left of it, dunno if that's what you're hearing?

I thought I was hearing it to the left of the vocal but I could be mistaken, let me give it another listen on monitors in the morning. It could have been the acoustic or overheads throwing it off for me.
The dry vocals in the beginning work well to create an intimate atmosphere...but....I think if you are going to have such dry vocals ...you'll need some surgical EQ to remove the resonance.....sometimes FX can hide/soften resonance but in this case there is nowhere to hide. The other thing is that about such dry vox before the band come in proper ....is that the instrumental accompaniment sounds very pushed back.....and then rushes forward when the drums come in...so a bit confusing for the listener.

After such intimate vocal intro......the vox level then seems to get inconsistent..maybe needs (more) automation to keep it clear of the band/choir as the song builds
(09-05-2015, 02:44 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: The dry vocals in the beginning work well to create an intimate atmosphere...but....I think if you are going to have such dry vocals ...you'll need some surgical EQ to remove the resonance.....sometimes FX can hide/soften resonance but in this case there is nowhere to hide. The other thing is that about such dry vox before the band come in proper ....is that the instrumental accompaniment sounds very pushed back.....and then rushes forward when the drums come in...so a bit confusing for the listener.

After such intimate vocal intro......the vox level then seems to get inconsistent..maybe needs (more) automation to keep it clear of the band/choir as the song builds
Hey thanks for having a listen Hb, though not sure the voc is inconsistent, just don't think it's loud enough overall once the band kicks in. Thanks for the feedback, helps me to hear it with more objectivity.