Poll: Would you spend your hard earned cash on this mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Nah, I probably spend my money elsewhere.
12.50%
1 12.50%
A decent contender. Let´s see where this goes.
50.00%
4 50.00%
Yeah, mix is ready. I´ll pay you what we previously agreed upon.
37.50%
3 37.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Passing Ships [Mixed by Mange]
Hello fellow mixers. I finally got my mix ready for the public. Hope you like it. I thought I would try the poll thing at least one more time.

About the poll

Been here a while I notice that mixes do get listened to but more rarely commented. I´m there myself, listening but not commenting. Not nativly talking english myself it do take some time to post a decent reply. I wish people would use the polls a little more often. But then, polls are even more seldom replied to! So what to ask for in a poll then? I have given it some thought and come up with following.

I would like you to wear the artist or the producers (as well as the mixers) hat. Pretend that you sent me the multitrack for mixing and now you have a mix replied. What do you feel?
1: Wow, this is way below my expectations. I'll drop him a mix note but don't expect anything. Good I sent the tracks elsewere too. Or...
2: Yeah, this ain´t bad, not quite there yet. hmm, I´ll drop him some mix notes with what I want changed. Or...
3: Here, take my money. The mix is done and I´ll pay you what we previously agreed upon.

With this poll I get a hint on how far from ready the mix is.
Goal is to by the second or third revision have at least some of you buying.
Please note. It is now possible to cancel your vote and put it elsewhere as mix progresses.

So, don´t I want comments? Sure I do but don´t feel that you need to write me a novel. If anything... post a reference tip like. -I like the vocals of Surfin' Bird with The Trashmen. Can you get me there? A single line is enough. I´ll leave the mix alone for a couple of days returning with a revised version from your comments.

Maybe some of you get hung up on the buy thing... what amount of cash? Well, the quality of the sourcetracks tells you that.

.mp3    The Travelling Band - Passing Ships - Mixed by Mange Print 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

Damn solid mix, sir. My only (small) gripe is something I've noticed in multiple mixes of this song. Piano mic 2 has a decent amount of distortion in it, so you may have to bring down that mic during the really delicate parts.

Good job!

Draper

Btw, I was using multiple reverbs on my vocals. The old oxford reverb, and also was using Altiverb, and also reaVerb (reaper).
Thanks for the kind words. I'll recheck that piano. If I remember correctly I thought the cleaner tracks were to roomy. Maybe they fit better now when mix is "finished". It even crossed my mind try to midify the piano and replace it with some instrument. Well, that felt a bit time consuming but it would be a fun experiment.
my reply is thus.
reminds me a little of the Avett brothers. Not really my kinda music. Over all, I listened to half of it cuz you can't reply and listen at the same time, but sounds just fine. I'm not gonna get nit picky. There's always something that can be nit picked. If I had to put it on a record I might add some more motion and rhythm and try dropping something for a couple bars and bringing it back etc.
I agree that the song builds quite slowly. Maybe not my choice of single. Main reason for doing this song was that there is an official mix done by mixguru Chris Lord Alge. I didn't listen to it until mine was ready. You should give it a swirl, it was a fun song to mix.
I did use the mute button in a "creative" way but you missed it Smile it comes close after the 3 minute mark and is very short. I like that touch a lot. In a live environment it could easily be expanded to seconds with a massive payoff going in to the last section.
I have no issues listening and replying at the same time.
Very nice mix. My only comment is that the high mids are quite prominent on the cellos and piano. It's quite a subtle thing, but doesn't sound quite right to me. Possibly as I spend a lot of time working with them in the world of live mixing so I'm used to a certain sound. Apart from that, very nice work! Like your ending as well BTW.

Short answer: take my money!
I really like the sound you have got on the strings, and I like the reprise of the first verse you tagged onto the end aswell, nice touch! The only thing wrong for me is its a little too bright, but that really is personal preference.
Thanks for all feedback and votes. Did a quick revisit to the song trying to adress your suggestions.
I "remixed" the pianotracks, lowered the distorded one, raisin the others.
Lowered some himids on pianobus and cellobus.
Lowered the hishelv on the mixbus.
I also lowered the toms a smidge. (my own reflection)

If these changes made you reconsider your previous vote for the better then... remember that you can change your vote.

.mp3    The Travelling Band - Passing Ships - Mixed by Mange Print 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.93 MB)

I didn't listen to the mix, just was listening to the song, which I would say you did a great job, man. Anytime you can get a mixer to just rock out to a song, I think you've done something right! Enjoyable listen man.

Draper
And I love the Coda you added! (surprised I didn't comment on it before)