Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
21-06-2012, 10:59 PM
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The drums are very nicely recorded on the whole, and the tracks comprise stereo overheads, mono and stereo room mics (which also pick up a fair bit of bass/guitar spill), and close mics for kick, snare (over, under), and two toms. In addition, two mono tambourine overdubs provide rhythmic support and accents respectively.
    • The bass has been recorded via DI as well as through a miked amp. (And it sounds great!)
    • The main guitar line (presumably overdubbed, because there's no spill) is presented on this multitrack over no fewer than five tracks(!): a DI, three different close-miked amp combinations, and a room mic. A second through-running guitar part is only available via one miked-cab track, while a third solo line has two miked-amp tracks and a separate room mic.
    • Two great overdubbed lead-vocal takes are available, incorporating a selection of different ad libs.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • There's a lot of woolly-sounding resonance and spill between kick hits, which will probably conflict with the bass tone if left as is.
    • There's something a bit broken-sounding about the under-snare mic -- apparently on account of a dodgy fader in the signal path. That said, it probably won't matter if this track is balanced at any reasonable mix level.
    • The snare doesn't change much if you flip its polarity switch, which is a good indication that the under and over mics don't yet have the most favourable phase relationship.
    • Sympathetic ringing of the toms is picked up all too well by the tom mics, which is a shame because there's some nice spill on those tracks otherwise.
    • Although the bass tracks seem to combine pretty well straight away, there are serious polarity/phase disagreements between the different tracks of the main riff guitar.
    • I imagine a lot of people will probably want to do some editing of the lead vocal parts to put the best bits of the performance where they make most sense. Some engineers may prefer tighter tuning too.
  • Some Mixing Tips: Although this isn't a mix I've attempted myself, here are some suggestions that come to mind:
    • These tracks offer lots of potential for a really good drum sound, so don't let yourself down by failing to get the best out of the phase relationships between the mics.
    • Gating the kick in this instance would probably be a good idea, although a little of the spill might still be beneficial, so do experiment with the Range control if your processor has one.
    • If you want to use the tom spill, then try notching out the fundamental frequency of each tom's ringing pitch -- and then automating the gain of that EQ band so that it doesn't impact on any of the tom hits themselves.
    • The room mics are pretty heavy on the low mids, and it's likely you'll want to carve some of those away with EQ to avoid a murky-sounding mix. Otherwise, though, I'd try to make as much use of these mics as you can, because I think they sound great! I'm just a sucker for room sounds... Smile
    • Be careful of spreading those guitar tracks out in stereo unless you've matched the phase of them first, otherwise you may be heading for disastrous mono-compatibility problems. Also, bear in mind that you can adjust the balance of the different guitar layers to provide a bit of surreptitious support for the arrangement dynamics.
    • Try copying and editing the mono tambourine to generate a fake double-track if you feel the need for more width and/or complexity for this instrument, especially for the 16th-note rhythmic sections.
    • There's a lot of distortion going on on the guitars here, but remember that the vocals also need some room in the 2-5kHz zone.
    • This multitrack has been made available by the Shaking Through project, and they've set up this Gearslutz thread which features masses of information about the recording sessions and lots of different mix versions you can listen to. Feel free to post your mixes here as well, though, if you like!

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: About This Multitrack
I think it should be mentioned that there must have been a punch-in in the bass tracks which only occurs on one track (what were they thinking?). At around 3:10 the DIed and the amped signal play different notes.
Quote this message in a reply

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: