Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing Ships
SO much to love about this recording and song. I love the delicate balanced with the heavy hitting.

Mixed on my HD 650's

Cheers!

Draper

.mp3    Passing Ships.mp3 --  (Download: 9.58 MB)

Not bad. I find the delay on main vocal a little bit distracting in the first seconds of song. I also think that your mix is a bit bass heavy. Drums are good.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I thought the delays were a touch weird, but I also liked it, so I went back and forth on it.

Thanks for listening and critiquing!

Draper
I hear some "flutter" hear and there! Easily spotted on the cymbals of the last 8 bars. A bit subby, otherwise it´s a nice one.
I like the reverb in the beginning. What is it. I´m looking for a new reverb. Not 100% pleased with the Ultrareverb from Eventide.
First thing I'm hearing is a bit of high end rattling around from the vocal delays... you'll want to low pass that.

Piano sound is warm, round, and I like it a good deal more than mine. Very smooth and fulfills its role in the mix quite well. Cellos sound great alongside the guitar swells.

Are you maybe pushing the vocals a little bit in the high mid? There's a harsh, grainy sound that really seems unnecessary for the vocal to cut through the mix... you're managing the dynamics quite well and that's probably all you need. For me it's going from even in the mix to relentless and somewhat tiring.

The synth pad introduced with the drums is a bit intrusive, especially on the bottom. It was all I could do to resist muting that track altogether... it doesn't serve a musical purpose in my opinion, but it will cohere in your mix a lot better if you ease up on the highs and lows... the lows are overwhelming the kick a little. Guitar 5 sounds a bit thin, but not bad. I'd like a bit more body and less rattle on the drums, personally.

A nice listen, though. Great work with the piano and cello.

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Slightly different take on it.

.mp3    Passing Ships2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

Nice panning on the synth pad at the start - the vocals have a nice low end presence but not too sure about the slight delay on them ( if that's what it is ) and Im not crazy about the volume of the second synth part, kind of makes it all a bit buzzy. But apart from those couple of things its not a bad mix.
Thanks Brader. It is a slight delay. Was drawing on the idea that since they are lonely passing ships, that there would be plenty of space for the vocals to reflect back, so that is what i was drawing on in the beginning. The buzzy second synth was probably just too loud, haha.

Thanks for the listen!

Draper