Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Words Mix
Hello, all I just found this site yesterday and decided to give it a try.
I tried mixing this song, I've never mixed anything with vocals before so there's probably a bunch of details that you can help/comment on.
I think it came out rather nice, considering I'm relatively new at mixing, what do you think?

.mp3    Devils_Words.mp3 --  (Download: 2.96 MB)

.mp3    Devil\'s Words(2).mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)

Hi there and welcome to this nice community of pro and amateur mixers !

I'll try to give you my opinion and make it constructive, as i mixed this song either .

First of all, your master is overcompressed. I think you've made a home made mastering, which is a good idea (or a materbus treatement)... but you've overdone it. The lack of dynamics is obvious. Don't go in this "level war" ... it's useless.. if you want it to sound loud, just turn the volume up !
Listen at low volume at 2'17 ... cymbals are crashed... this is an example.

For the rest :
Your mix sounds a little dark, with a lack of high end clarity which you could improve in.... high pass tracks !
First thing i do before starting mixing is listening all the tracks and high pass the ones which don't deserve low end... it clarifies everything and make the decisions easier later on ...

Your lead vocal is way too "low mid present". It feels too loud, but it's not. Level is good, frequency choice is not. I'd cut everything under 150-200hz... and try to brighten it with a high shelf ...

For a first time mixing, you'd try nice effects and automation, it's good

Try to listent to other mixes, even comment mine if you want , and you'll improve fast and constructive !

Keep posting.

Good jon.
(08-03-2013, 10:50 PM)Xabix Wrote: Hi there and welcome to this nice community of pro and amateur mixers !

I'll try to give you my opinion and make it constructive, as i mixed this song either .

First of all, your master is overcompressed. I think you've made a home made mastering, which is a good idea (or a materbus treatement)... but you've overdone it. The lack of dynamics is obvious. Don't go in this "level war" ... it's useless.. if you want it to sound loud, just turn the volume up !
Listen at low volume at 2'17 ... cymbals are crashed... this is an example.

For the rest :
Your mix sounds a little dark, with a lack of high end clarity which you could improve in.... high pass tracks !
First thing i do before starting mixing is listening all the tracks and high pass the ones which don't deserve low end... it clarifies everything and make the decisions easier later on ...

Your lead vocal is way too "low mid present". It feels too loud, but it's not. Level is good, frequency choice is not. I'd cut everything under 150-200hz... and try to brighten it with a high shelf ...

For a first time mixing, you'd try nice effects and automation, it's good

Try to listent to other mixes, even comment mine if you want , and you'll improve fast and constructive !

Keep posting.

Good jon.

Ah, thank you. I actually do highpass the tracks, but I always fear I might be doing too much, apparently it's not enough, hahaha.
So if you already high pass them, maybe you have a wrong response of your room in the highs... think about opening the highs on the tracks that need it, not all of them... maybe the drum bus would appreciate, so with the lead vocal... and a soft EQ on your master will clear the message too Smile soft !!! really soft treatment on master bus.... usually when i like what i did on the master bus, i do twice less Smile
(08-03-2013, 11:09 PM)Xabix Wrote: So if you already high pass them, maybe you have a wrong response of your room in the highs... think about opening the highs on the tracks that need it, not all of them... maybe the drum bus would appreciate, so with the lead vocal... and a soft EQ on your master will clear the message too Smile soft !!! really soft treatment on master bus.... usually when i like what i did on the master bus, i do twice less Smile

Yeah, this room is probably not helping much, I'm not at my "main station", I'm mixing on my laptop on a random room(the place I usually mix at is not much better, anyway). But, NO EXCUSES!
Yeah, I recently read something about halving whatever you do on the master.
I gave your mix a listen, it definitely sounds more open and with more space.
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely give it a go some time later!
With pleasure ! This site is made to help and improve ourselves !
I'm in a mood for a "listening and commenting" marathon tonight ... so let's do it !
For a first shot you did a great work, if i can help in any way, just ask, i love my job as "Senior Mike" does and that's our reason to be there : make constructive criticism and help !

Thanks for listening to my mix. It's not as good as i wanted it to be, but i don't have much time to tweak after comments i received ....

Feel free to comment the other mixes i've made, as a pro, i always have things to learn Smile
Well I just added a second attempt.