Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil's Words (Gadget's mix)
My attempt at this one - great song BTW!

Hope you enjoy :-)

All the best,

Bob

.mp3    Actions - Devils Words - mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 4.54 MB)

Hey Gadget. On the money with this mix, my good fellow!

The only slight issue I can perceive is the level of the tambourine which could be brought back a little to have it sit in the mix a little better. At the moment it seems a little detached from the rest of the song.
Once that has been rectified, print it and send it off to the producer! Smile

I am constantly astounded by the quality of work exhibited by people on this forum.
Listening to all of these mixes encourages me to push myself hard, try new techniques and really focus on the fine details of the song to get something even close to many of them.

Going to listen to your song again now Smile

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
(21-03-2013, 06:53 AM)Dags Wrote: Hey Gadget. On the money with this mix, my good fellow!...

Thanks for the kind comments :-)

Here is the slightly revised mix...

.mp3    Actions - Devils Words - 3e.mp3 --  (Download: 4.51 MB)

Nailed it! Smile

...though maybe the lead vocal can come up a little bit in the chorus (I can hear them better now that the tambourine isn't obscuring them as much) or maybe the electric guitar down just a little bit to help the vocals peek out a bit more.

I'm curious (and envious), how do you get your mixes so loud without making them sound too squashed? I run a gentle compressor (which I also mix through) followed by an adaptive limiter across the master buss to stop clipping at the -0.3dBFS mark and drive the track a little bit against the limiter but I can't seem to really press the level too much without the track sounding harsh - could just be my ears not being used to a constant loud volume and wanting to hear more dynamics when I'm working on my mixes.
Your tracks are always much louder than I'm able to get mine and always sound so good!

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
(22-03-2013, 04:26 AM)Dags Wrote: Nailed it! Smile

...though maybe the lead vocal can come up a little bit in the chorus (I can hear them better now that the tambourine isn't obscuring them as much) or maybe the electric guitar down just a little bit to help the vocals peek out a bit more.

I'm curious (and envious), how do you get your mixes so loud without making them sound too squashed? I run a gentle compressor (which I also mix through) followed by an adaptive limiter across the master buss to stop clipping at the -0.3dBFS mark and drive the track a little bit against the limiter but I can't seem to really press the level too much without the track sounding harsh - could just be my ears not being used to a constant loud volume and wanting to hear more dynamics when I'm working on my mixes.
Your tracks are always much louder than I'm able to get mine and always sound so good!

Dags

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the positive feedback :-) I did lift the vocal level a bit on that one, but I also gave the guitars a little more mid-bite EQ, so perhaps that's lifted their level a little too much relatively. Will have a look at it later...

As for techniques, etc... I'll post again v. soon.