Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ThePhonk's mix
All,

when I commented on Eric's (drbob1970's) mix, I said that I liked its emphasis on intimacy, and that I would like to hear something in between his and uzilevi's mix. I did my own mix, starting from Eric's intimacy and uzilevi's spaciousness. Yet I did not land in between, but somewhere else.

I played with it on several evenings, with the day's work done (abandoned, to be honest), with a glass of wine or something, an in absolutely no rush. And that was the listening situation I aimed the mix at. My notion of intimacy changed over time, and... well... got more intimate as the song and me got more intimate. And I may have missed the right moment to stop.

I could tell a lot, and I have some concerns... but listen for yourself and let me know what you think, if you'd like to.

Only one thing: thanks to uzilevi and Eric for providing their mixes as inspiration, launchpad and reference! (And to Mike, obviously!)

Marc

.mp3    Banned-From-The-Zoo_Turn-On-Me_ThePhonk-V012.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

hi mark i still like my virsion more Smile
i think there are 3 main fixes needed here ,the bass is overpowering at times and is not constant ,and the vocal is lost at times you need to automate so it will be ontop.you need to deass the vocal. i loved to delay that come and go(not the constant) at the flut i needed to think thatSmile
and you can join me in with the thanks for mike for making this happen "thanks mike" Smile
Thanks, uzilevi,

for your comment. But... I "need to automate" the vocal? You must be kidding! What do you think this is:

[Image: turnonmeautomationg.jpg]

You mean I need to automate even more than that?! Tongue

Now seriously, I did not try to make this mix perfectly even, or the vocal being always on top. (But granted, if I had tried, I probably would not have managed to get it anywhere near yours, in this regard). See my remark above about the listening situation. With the vocal, I am confident that it is pretty close to how I want it -- apart from the embarrassing oversight you mentioned Angry Of course, if everybody would deass, the world would be a much friendlier place Big Grin

With the bass, however, I also automated away only some of the unevenness. In hindsight I believe you are right, I should have done more of it (than with the vocals). Uneven vocals may (and here, I believe, do) have some charm, but uneven bass probably less so. Could you name one or two spots where you think the bass sticks out too far?

Regarding the (mostly) constant delay, I assume you mean the one on the guitar. My idea was to slightly stuff and smear the mix with some 'rhythmic noise', to compensate for the restrained drum mix. It did not really get it the way I imagined it, but I still consider it a valid idea. Yet I am open to persuasion...

And I am glad you like the delay on the flute. It's basically the same idea as the constant one, but applied to a more rewarding subject. It may be artistic overreach, but I like it too! Listen to it over and over... Rolleyes

Marc
hi marc it looks like you over automate Smile on 1-20 the voc is way to low so this is what on the first iprestion makes evry thing sound bad ,jast that point in time Smile as for the bass evry time the bass go to the note a is over powering. look if you do alot this dont meen that you do right,its all in your ears so dont let the your eye fool you Smile
jast for fun look at this movi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...-lN8vWm3m0
tell me what you think.
Ah, uzilevi,

(16-06-2012, 07:56 PM)uzilevi Wrote: [...]on 1-20 the voc is way to low so this is what on the first iprestion makes evry thing sound bad ,jast that point in time Smile [...]

you mean the humming from 0:08 to 0:11 and from 0:17 to 0:20? (And probably again from 1:21 to 1:27?) They are too soft, you are right. To be honest, I didn't give them a single thought, but totally focused on the singing. Ouch. Good point.

But what do you think of the actual singing? Loud enough for your taste?

(16-06-2012, 07:56 PM)uzilevi Wrote: [...] as for the bass evry time the bass go to the note a is over powering. look if you do alot this dont meen that you do right,its all in your ears so dont let the your eye fool you Smile
jast for fun look at this movi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...-lN8vWm3m0
tell me what you think.

The McGurk effect is impressive, and I did not know about it. Nice! Thanks for posting this link! To compensate for possible McGurk effects, I quickly checked the bass with closed eyes. On my monitors, the D and the G tend to stick out from time to time, while the A is generally already a bit weaker. And measuring the bass (with eyes open again) confirms my hearing. But either way, I should even out the bass a bit more.

Marc
hi i think the 2 time the voc come in in the middle part is jast low but if the hhaa part was ok may be i didnt mind it and it be ok.
jast remember the eye can be misleading.
i hope i halped you with my remarks and not ... Smile
(17-06-2012, 07:47 PM)uzilevi Wrote: [...] i hope i halped you with my remarks and not ... Smile

You surely did! I'll give this a bit more work, and then you'll see :-)

A nice rich sound you've got going here, with an 'enveloping' bass sound and pleasantly retro and understated guitar/ukelele tones. Love the way the flute fits into the puzzle too.

My main concern personally would be that the ride feels rather too in your face as a listener, whereas the lead vocal appears too recessed. If you're using a close mic to bring that ride forward, I'd pull it back a bit, and probably also try to soften the transient edge a little. At the moment it keeps taking my mind off what feels like it should be a vocal-led song. I'd probably also think of applying a little short artifical ambience to the close mic (if it is one) to give more of a sense of hearing the ride in the room rather than from 18 inches away. The vocal reverb also exacerbates the situation, I think, and could be turned down or replaced with something else. It's easy to apply reverb to vocals almost as a reflex action, but in some cases they can be great drier -- more like the flute, in fact, so whatever you're using on that (there's some kind of intriguing delay/verb thing) might actually work rather well there.

In addition, I wonder whether you might have gone a little too heavy on the sub-100Hz zone on the bass, because I'm getting quite a big disparity in the bass balance when comparing large and small speakers. If you want that much of a sensation of bass warmth on the smalls, then you might want to use some kind of EQ or bass enhancer to get a few more midrange harmonics out of it.

All in all, it's a nice listen this, though.
hi mike i think you are right on the bass i need it to be more bright.thanks uzi.
Thanks, Mike,

for your comments. The ride slightly bothered me too, but I did not really figure out what the problem was, and left it alone. Now I understand! In the multitracks, it appears on the, erm, "05_HiHat" and the "06_Overheads" channels. I chose to take it from the overheads, so I could have done even worse, in terms of intrusiveness. I'll push it back.

I'm curious of what will then happen to the vocal. It has only minimal reverb (or so I thought). More prominent is a 23/27ms (L/R) delay send, which, in my perception, pushes the vocal a bit forward. I did a similar thing on the flute and will check how similar they actually are, and where they differ.

Regarding the bass, uzilevi has already convinced me to even it out, and while I am at it, I will try to address your point and try to bring the "warmth on the smalls"... and find me some appropriate smalls to test it!

There is only one thing that I do not understand: what is an "'enveloping' bass sound"? I mean, I understand you think that I created one, but... I still don't have the slightest idea :-)

Marc