Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ripe - Little Bit Lighter - New Update
It is a real treat to mix this band. They are a talented group and the lead singer is truly one of the rising stars in rock. What a great vocal talent he is.

This is another song I had mixed several years prior to Mike adding here so this represents a not-so-quick remix and remaster of my earlier attempt.

Ripe - Little Bit Lighter - Mix 2

After Shul's cogent comments I address the guitar balance and slightly tweaked the hat and overheads for better mono translation. This also altered the drum reverb.

Ripe - Little Bit Lighter - Mix 3

After more good input from Dave, Alan and Roy I have redistributed the upper-mid energy and beefed up the snare drum. This re-balance allowed for a few other things to come through as well. Mastering was also updated to a -13.1 LUFS

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

.mp3    Ripe - Little Lighter - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.95 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
It's a great take on it. Balances are very solid and the overall structure of it is great sonically.

My pointers would be.
*That guitar on the right side is quite upfront.. After a while my right ear is a bit fatigued. This is only because the left one is not as up front.
*i like the snare tone you achieved but the reverb is clouding it up a bit. Almost sounds like the snare is distant and in front of it there is this reveb curtain. I would say probably a combination of both reverb and room mics.

Other than that this is good. I like the relation of the kick and bass you got.
(08-07-2019, 04:25 PM)Shul Wrote: It's a great take on it. Balances are very solid and the overall structure of it is great sonically.

My pointers would be.
*That guitar on the right side is quite upfront.. After a while my right ear is a bit fatigued. This is only because the left one is not as up front.
*i like the snare tone you achieved but the reverb is clouding it up a bit. Almost sounds like the snare is distant and in front of it there is this reveb curtain. I would say probably a combination of both reverb and room mics.

Other than that this is good. I like the relation of the kick and bass you got.

Thanks for the input. I tried to make the snare and the room work together and knew this would not be favored by many listeners. I always seems to have too much reverb on my kit. As for the guitar imbalance, that really concerns me. I would like to review this is a private message with you if you don't mind.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Yeah pm is ok by me.
It works for me Mitc!
It's sounding tight and nicely glued together. Great drum sound and general sonics. Listening with headphones I can hear Shuls point with the RHS guitar, although not worrying me too much. The only real thing I would add is, I'm wondering if you could get some more dynamic appeal out of the bass guitar just to emphasis and drive home the playing style more. It's sounding a little screwed down for me at the moment. Possibly just compressor settings. I do love the low frequency synth reinforcement through the choruses. A nice build and variation. Well Done.
(09-07-2019, 01:27 PM)Dangerous Wrote: It works for me Mitc!
It's sounding tight and nicely glued together. Great drum sound and general sonics. Listening with headphones I can hear Shuls point with the RHS guitar, although not worrying me too much. The only real thing I would add is, I'm wondering if you could get some more dynamic appeal out of the bass guitar just to emphasis and drive home the playing style more. It's sounding a little screwed down for me at the moment. Possibly just compressor settings. I do love the low frequency synth reinforcement through the choruses. A nice build and variation. Well Done.

Thanks, Dave. I will check on the bass processing. If memory serves me there is not a lot of compression on it, but it could do with some level automation throughout the song. Good. ear. Thanks again.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Not a bad sounding mix,the snare sounds a bit thin and the horns could also do with some more mids also
The bottom sounds ok.Its just all a bit thin on the top end of everything including the vox.
I checked out mix 2. Overall it sounds really good. I like how the juno sits in the chorus. The bass reverb takes away some of the "plastic" sound it had though it might affect the dynamics as Dave noted. My only complaint is there's a lot going on in the upper midrange at at times the guitars and horns and vocal all seem to hit the same frequency range and it gets slightly peaky. Ultimately it's an arrangement issue and not really that bad but borders on occasionally harsh. Other than that is sounds great.
I had a play with this and tried to pull the high mids down a bit and give the overall mix a slight bit more compression that made the bottom a bit more solid..Pretty good mix to fair its mainly the snare needs some more meat in the mix i feel myself

.mp3    EQ.mp3 --  (Download: 9.92 MB)

Really enjoying mix3. The snare change definitely makes everything feel better sonically. Your usual low end goodness at work here, especially the Juno. I do think the guitar solo could me more present and wonder if the mix overall would benefit from a slight high end lift. Great work!