Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fergessen: 'Back From The Start' Micks Mix
Hey guys, Just did a first mix on this for practice but decided to extend it slightly as I didnt feel the song was over. I also distorted the bass and left out the vocals at the intro.

.mp3    Back from the start master 29_7.mp3 --  (Download: 7.31 MB)

Welcome to the fun. You picked a tricky one to start with. I have a sub woofer with my monitoring system and the sub bass frequencies are way too loud ... nothing some high pass filtering can't cure Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(23-07-2013, 11:19 PM)bmullen Wrote: Welcome to the fun. You picked a tricky one to start with. I have a sub woofer with my monitoring system and the sub bass frequencies are way too loud ... nothing some high pass filtering can't cure Smile

oh dude man, is that true? ok Ill ease off on the blow end and upload another for comparison son
I find allot of people are making slighty bass heavy mixes Tongue haha

By the way did you put some dist or grit on the vocals? They just kinda sound like they're distorting slighty

I like the bass Smile i love gritty basses with a bit of fuzz! Always sounds great! Mind you i put a bit on mine!

I like how you extended it, nice and edgy!

Nice sound in general, i like the volume of the snare!

Im mixing in reaper and if you get a chance try learning to use a pultec style EQ! they're great for kick drums cause you can attenuate or simply cut out low mid information and then boost the subs! I just hi-passed the Kick out at 30 hz (regular Q) and the kick in at 40hz but with a really steep Q so it also boosts at 50hz 6db. However that seemed to work for me!

Another thing you can do is just use a band pass or preview a filter and try to pick out the resonant bass frequency then just use a really narrow band and cut out that particular frequency a few Db.

Like i mean hi-pass where you can really! give that kick space to breathe.

However i tend to try keep my mixes a little on the light side bass wise!
Hey man thanks for the positive feedback. The Less is more approach always works I guess and yes I distorted the vocals a bit.Goin for that Marc Boland sound...Ill look into those eq's and remix again but I did only spend an hour on the tune ....perfection is a moving target!Here's another mix anyway, I must get new monitors.

.mp3    Back from the start extended 24_7.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

(24-07-2013, 04:35 PM)Fickle3 Wrote: Hey man thanks for the positive feedback. The Less is more approach always works I guess and yes I distorted the vocals a bit.Goin for that Marc Boland sound...Ill look into those eq's and remix again

No worries man Smile I like the grit! it's cool! yeah here is a link to pultec emulation i use. Completely free! It might not be a accurate emulation but i like using it for what it is!

http://www.igniteamps.com/audio-plug-ins

(25-07-2013, 03:13 PM)Greggs24 Wrote:
(24-07-2013, 04:35 PM)Fickle3 Wrote: Hey man thanks for the positive feedback. The Less is more approach always works I guess and yes I distorted the vocals a bit.Goin for that Marc Boland sound...Ill look into those eq's and remix again

No worries man Smile I like the grit! it's cool! yeah here is a link to pultec emulation i use. Completely free! It might not be a accurate emulation but i like using it for what it is!

http://www.igniteamps.com/audio-plug-ins

Hey man, thanks for the link. I tried dropping the .dll's into the appropriate folder but no luck so in the meantime Ive attached another mix. I left out the intro vocals and layed off on the bass a bit. Hope it sounds a bit better. Will head on over and have a listen to your mix now too.

.mp3    Back from the start master 29_7.mp3 --  (Download: 7.31 MB)

Nice and dirty (in a good way) mix!I would widen the stereo image though and eq some more the fx.
(29-07-2013, 09:25 PM)gopener Wrote: Nice and dirty (in a good way) mix!I would widen the stereo image though and eq some more the fx.

thanks for the feedback gopener. Gonna take that advice but unsure of what you mean by eq some more the fx? ?

(29-07-2013, 09:56 PM)Fickle3 Wrote:
(29-07-2013, 09:25 PM)gopener Wrote: Nice and dirty (in a good way) mix!I would widen the stereo image though and eq some more the fx.

thanks for the feedback gopener. Gonna take that advice but unsure of what you mean by eq some more the fx? ?

After the fx (reverb , delay etc) bring one eq and shape it as you do with the instruments.