Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mix
Edit: New Mix, is it nice or is it nice,,,,, or is it nice Big Grin

Hello!

My name is Marcus.

Sorry, my English is not so good and it must therefore be converted to Google, I hope that we still understand well.
I was on the page and the song was really great!
Short and loaded into the sequencer Big Grin Confused Rolleyes

I would if the mixer and the other says it interesting how he has handled the bass drum, I like the sound of the bass drum, which has such a nice splash in it, tell me please how you should manage it, you cool be out here in the forum.

Here is my mix look forward to your feedback.

Ps: The previewmix like it very much.

.mp3    Who_I_Am.mp3 --  (Download: 7.09 MB)

Step away from that Low Boost control with your hands in the air! Smile Seriously, there's a serious truckload of low end on this mix, mostly on the bass guitar, and it feels way out of kilter, so it suggests to me that your monitoring is fibbing to you and/or you're not referencing your mix adequately against commercial releases.

Trying to listen past the low-end hillock, though, the rest of the balance seems pretty sensible. The vocal;s nice and upfront too, without dislocating from the backing, which together with the general sense of blend suggests to me that your approach to effects is on the right track.

The snare does sound a bit odd, though. Have you triggered something there? If so it doesn't seem in keeping with this track, and is quite abrasive and upfront in a way that undermines the primacy of the lead vocal for me. The cymbals also feel as if they might be a bit bright, having more than a hint of trashiness to them. Did you build this drum balance from the close mics, and only add in the overheads at the end? If so I'd recommend the opposite approach, because that usually gives a more natural sound.
(17-09-2012, 04:37 AM)Marcus Wrote: Hello!

My name is Marcus.

Sorry, my English is not so good and it must therefore be converted to Google, I hope that we still understand well.
I was on the page and the song was really great!
Short and loaded into the sequencer Big Grin Confused Rolleyes

I would if the mixer and the other says it interesting how he has handled the bass drum, I like the sound of the bass drum, which has such a nice splash in it, tell me please how you should manage it, you cool be out here in the forum.

Here is my mix look forward to your feedback.

Ps: The previewmix like it very much.

OK. Not sure how well this will translate through Google, which worries me because I don't want to offend you; a lot of what I have to say is positive but that might be lost in the translation. So let me try to keep this simple:

You need to start over from square one with this mix but not because it sounds bad, only because it's not an appropriate sound for COUNTRY.

Honestly, I LOVED the sound of the drums here, and the pounding bass sounded excellent, but they both sounded more appropriate to heavy rock than country. You might try this approach on some of the material in the Rock/Punk/Metal section of the site; it'd likely sound pretty awesome on some of THOSE tracks. Smile

Speaking of which, what exactly did you do to the drums, anyway? How did you get the nice full "punch" from the snare?

There was one small problem, though. Everything felt collapsed to the center; did you pan ANYTHING or did you mix everything dead center?

To fix that, you might try this:

First, listen to the drum overheads, try to determine where each drum is in the stereo image, then pan the positions of each of the close mics as close as you can get them to those positions; that should give you a good stereo balance on the drums.

Now look at the individual instrument tracks and imagine in your mind's eye a stage where each of those tracks represents a performer; make sure your performers are spread comfortably on your mental "stage." Wink Now, adjust the pan on each track until each instrument is in the place where you picture that performer in your mind.

Vocals, of course, will be dead center. Use a smooth reverb on them, something that sounds like the reverb on a concert hall stage. Keep it subtle; if you can hear it clearly when you solo the track but not when you're playing your entire mix you've probably got it perfect. Wink

Now, once you do all that, to get that open country sound here's what you might try:

Now the only compression or EQ you should apply at this stage is to the vocals. A gentle compression ratio of 2:1 with a threshold around -15 or so should be enough. Then you might "air" the vocals a little with an EQ boost around 12 kHz or so (just five to 10 dB) and cut back a bit (three to five dB) around 300-350 kHz.

Also on the vocals you'll want to apply a high pass filter around 80 Hz to get rid of any "rumble" from the mic noise or air conditioning used in the studio; it'll help clear some space in the frequency spread for your bass and kick drum.

Now try running the whole mix without applying ANY processing to ANY of the remaining tracks, no EQ, no compression, no reverb, nothing. Given the quality of these tracks (these were a Telefunken microphone demo) that may be all you'll need to do, other than balancing the instruments against the vocal.

If it sounds a bit too flat, try using the reverb you're using for the vocal as a send effect and put ALL the tracks through it, as if they were all on the same stage with the vocalist. Again, just try to keep the reverb effect subtle. It should be almost subliminal; it's just there to give some "presence."

If you decide to try this, I'd love to hear the results. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
I am very sorry that I did not thank you both for your great feedback, I have to make the music and have to first put it away and start to take time again. Mike Senioe is right, the bass is really crass stressed uha is nevertheless very extreme. Pedaling Prince, also thank you for the tips, unfortunately I have the project no more I would have to start completely new. As far as the voice is concerned, I like the timbre of the singer and wanted to change as much as nothing in which I bend the singer with Eq and anything else, I also know that I started the mix with the vocals, as I said Timbre likes To me very much today.

Maybe I'm mixing the song again, because I still like the song.

Greetings, Marcus
Hi! New Mix.
(09-02-2017, 08:50 PM)Marcus Wrote: Hi! New Mix.

What you older guys don't understand is that having controlled and nice bass is what you sought after, theres nothing fancy in having a totally clean mix without any bass, just ins't appealing in any way or sort of form! The analog realm is not shy about having bass because of the increase in headroom, because of the super hard clipping thru transformers. This is what you could achieve with gear like the fairchild to get the warmth without having a cluttered mix, though there where multiple tubes, and they where there for a reason but people never understood that. And also, there is actually bass in vocals, why remove all of it? There is actually a reason why ribbon-microphones are one of the most liked out there because it retains and captures a lot more low frequencies then lets say a condenser. If the original source has more bass isn't this more close to an authentic sound?, i mean if the engineer isn't half stupid he probably chose the microphones and positions for a reason. Go read, inform yourselves of what you actually like in audio and then come and comment. This IS a good mix, stop lying to yourself and learn to accept what you like so you can grow as a person instead of be crying over stuff you can't do...