Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bitter
Obviously a fan of Rick Springfield and so am I so here it is a Rick Springfield version

Used Waves EMI 12345 on Master Seemed like the best fit lifted bottom and top end.

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 4.16 MB)

I was thinking more of the Cars (which is probably why I went more Weezer in my version) but I can hear Rick Springfield as well.
It sounds pretty good. The only thing I really have an issue with is the thump of the kick I think it could be a bit more defined. I like the focus on the BGVs, especially in the bridge. There's parts I've definitely didn't notice before.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.
I gotta agree with the kick it was a bit naff - I could not replace it for some reason so best of a bad job on that one
No definition in the bottom end,its all mushy .Top end is better but pretty harsh in most elements for me
(02-04-2019, 12:54 AM)takka360 Wrote: No definition in the bottom end,its all mushy .Top end is better but pretty harsh in most elements for me

Thanks for your comment .... but it would be a little more constructive to say maybe edit the transient of the bass drum or try a sample or turn down the eq by 2 db or so and on 5k or above or something or other. Mushy and Harsh seems a little generic so will take that as a bit of afters from my comments on Roy's mix but no hard feelings.

I am experimenting with Dangerous EQ and EMi 12345 so could use some TURN the F*ng solo down or something type of comment.

But noted it does sound a bit flabby on the kick (did not like the kick at all and Dangerous does boost the low end a lot in a strange way) and a bit shrill on certain notes (probably the EMI that one). Hope that helps with your own mix.

I GAVE THIS ANOTHER LIS...Sorry, caps lock. I gave this another listen. I still think it sounds pretty good. To add some further comments I think the main melody guitar part is a bit loud. It's just so prevalent that it doesn't need to be so upfront all the time. Keep the F*ng solo level where it is.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.
LOL - thanks for the comments will give this a bit of attention at weekend and take your comments on board and fix stuff.
Hi RG - Rick Springfield...er no...not really...Although he is (originally) a fellow countryman... I actually preferred him when he was in the Zoot back in the late 60s/early 70s - check out their cover of Eleanor Rigby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptr7i7sFkM That's young Rick on guitar and BVs.
I wrote about the kind of bands/sounds that inspired the song here: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...6#pid81266
...But I digress... To your mix...

You've gone for a bit of a dryer approach here which I wasn't keen on at first, but it does grow on me after a while.

I quite like the rawer, roomy sounding drums, but I'm finding the kick a bit too subby and "rubbery". I think a tighter sustain on the kick, and a little less sub would compliment the groove of the song better. Overall though, I do appreciate the depth in the drum sound.

I like the overall placement of the lead vocal in the mix, but something about it treatment and processing gives it a slightly "lo-fi" vibe. That's fine as a stylistic choice, and I'm not opposed to it per se. It's just that when the backing vocals come in, they sound very polished and "hi-fi", and the contrast seems to create a slight sense of cognitive dissonance, which kinda takes me out of the moment.

I'm particularly partial to the guitar solo - it's fairly loud, but it has just the right amount of dream-state "ethereal-ness". Nice!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for your comments - may just check out the vid

Gotta agree with the kick

I really was trying to get the Rick Springfield 80s sound - did actually listen RS before the mix and when loading it in - bit sad I know but his albums are great apart from the last one which was absolute ....