Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Stand! Live Streamed Mix
Hey guys! Another day, another live streamed mix of an EXTREMELY fun and groovy song. I loved just feeling it out this time instead of worrying so much about samples or anything.
Just raw, clean, and maybe a little gritty fun. Smile

Would love feedback on any of it! The stream, or the mix.

Thank you guys so much for the support!

.mp3    Ikebe Shakedown - The Last Stand - 1ws Stream Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.8 MB)

Nice sounding mix although I feel that the horn section gets really lost and just not balanced properly with the rest of the band. Also one of the trombone tracks is completely out of sync with the rest!
As above this is all out of time and the horns are all over the place.Bongos far to loud .
Im sorry but this mix is pretty bad its done my head in.
I disagree. I think it sounds pretty good. Yeah the horns are off but the rhythm section is pretty solid. I really like the sound of the congas especially. If the horns get sorted it'd be pretty solid mix.

Edit: Yeah, as the song goes on I hear more of the (non-horn) timing issues. Weird.
i also like your mix. sound very good. bongos could go down a bit, and theres the technical timing issue with one of the horns. also liked your video very much. it was very educational, and your spirit is appealing. keep up the good work and keep those streams coming! great work! ^_^
How he didn't hear that timing issue as you can clearly hear it in the stream as he was mixing the horns 45.59 but carried on like it wasn't there.A bit bizarre i thought .
(20-03-2019, 04:18 AM)takka360 Wrote: How he didn't hear that timing issue as you can clearly hear it in the stream as he was mixing the horns 45.59 but carried on like it wasn't there.A bit bizarre i thought .
People tend to trust the multitracks. Always check phases, the panning of toms/hats with the overheads (audience or drummer pov). Check the reference mix. etc.
That little sliver of the horn track should have been a giveaway.
That said, I still like the mix. He favored the congas but I suspect he just liked them. It'd be nice to hear with the horns in time.

(20-03-2019, 04:18 AM)takka360 Wrote: How he didn't hear that [...]

horn isnt that 'wrong' to begin with. it actually sounds lot like it could be in musical canon. room track reveal this isnt the situation. canon stuff is also quite rare in funk, so if familiar with the genre, you propably instantly heard something is off.

overall mess in groove i think come from the drum tracks, because drummer is struggling with kick, producing a 'lars ulrich' type of 'groove', where you tryna play syncopated 16th but slide towards triplet 8th and/or/but keep pushing the subdivision notes. but my guess he could be 'studio/recording anxious'. ^_^
Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback.
Out of curiosity, isn't everybody working with the same tracks? And being somewhat familiar with funk music, I tend to appreciate groove and feel more than I would be if I was a little more critical of it. Some of this stuff I wouldn't usually stand for in my own productions, as I'm a metal guy. Tight, to the grid, is my philosophy.
Thanks again for everyone's responses!
Yup, We're all working with the same tracks.