Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
Hi Mixinthecloud!

I just wanted to say thanks, because your mix decisions had a positive influence on the choices I made in my mix, and pushed me to explore new sounds I might not have otherwise. No other mix entry has has had this effect on my mix so far! Kudos to you for providing so many entrants feedback on their mixes.

Thanks again,
Eastwood
Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.
(11-02-2019, 03:09 AM)Eastwood Wrote: Hi Mixinthecloud!

I just wanted to say thanks, because your mix decisions had a positive influence on the choices I made in my mix, and pushed me to explore new sounds I might not have otherwise. No other mix entry has has had this effect on my mix so far! Kudos to you for providing so many entrants feedback on their mixes.

Thanks again,
Eastwood

Eastwood,
Thanks for the note. I hope the influence was more on the lines of what TO do and not what NOT to do!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey MiTC. I gave the Final version a listen and normally I'd let a final mix be I know how much of a stickler you are for things and I though I'd point out some things that jumped out at me.
-The Rhythm guitar level seems to drop noticeably at the first verse.
-I think I hear a weird click at the entrance of the congas @ 0:44. It might just be the actual initial conga hit or a mute that clips the conga.
-In the Chorus the vocal really pops out on the words Body and Share (1:17, 1:27). Possibly at other points as well.
-Feels pretty right heavy in the stereo image.
-Might it be a little bright? Or at least a lot of the instruments seem to congregate in the same upper mid neighborhood. I don’t know though as I’ve been mixing a lot today and my ears may be a bit fried. Maybe someone else could give it a check.
-The slide guitar outshines the vocal in sections. Notably in the last chorus.
-The chorus feels a little weak compared to the verse. I think because the drive of the congas and timbale is gone but nothing replaces them. Last chorus is the exception. (I actually wonder how the claps would be in all the choruses but now I’m just blue-skying.)
-I like the claps at the top. I might be really overthinking but I feel like I kinda lose the "1", the downbeats, of the intro.
-I like the Bass mutes (at least I think you muted some notes in the chorus?). I really like the blend of the piano and guitar 1. Other than that everything feels good. I need a break but I'll give it another listen later. Maybe I'm just going crazy and oversaturated with sounds at the moment.

And, as Eastwood stated above, thanks again for all the feedback. I wish I could do more of it myself but I just can't seem to find the focus.

Cheers!
(11-02-2019, 06:50 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Hey MiTC. I gave the Final version a listen and normally I'd let a final mix be I know how much of a stickler you are for things and I though I'd point out some things that jumped out at me.
-The Rhythm guitar level seems to drop noticeably at the first verse.
-I think I hear a weird click at the entrance of the congas @ 0:44. It might just be the actual initial conga hit or a mute that clips the conga.
-In the Chorus the vocal really pops out on the words Body and Share (1:17, 1:27). Possibly at other points as well.
-Feels pretty right heavy in the stereo image.
-Might it be a little bright? Or at least a lot of the instruments seem to congregate in the same upper mid neighborhood. I don’t know though as I’ve been mixing a lot today and my ears may be a bit fried. Maybe someone else could give it a check.
-The slide guitar outshines the vocal in sections. Notably in the last chorus.
-The chorus feels a little weak compared to the verse. I think because the drive of the congas and timbale is gone but nothing replaces them. Last chorus is the exception. (I actually wonder how the claps would be in all the choruses but now I’m just blue-skying.)
-I like the claps at the top. I might be really overthinking but I feel like I kinda lose the "1", the downbeats, of the intro.
-I like the Bass mutes (at least I think you muted some notes in the chorus?). I really like the blend of the piano and guitar 1. Other than that everything feels good. I need a break but I'll give it another listen later. Maybe I'm just going crazy and oversaturated with sounds at the moment.

And, as Eastwood stated above, thanks again for all the feedback. I wish I could do more of it myself but I just can't seem to find the focus.

Cheers!

All good points and some have been addressed. Thanks for the ears on this.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]