Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Adam Buckley: 'Drag Me Down'
Hi Kirk,
I'll join the crowd and praise the low end of your mix. The punch and clarity of the kick is very satisfying and works really well. The synths have a nice silky character and they sound pleasing and unobtrusive. Great, great job with the guitars.

The voice, on the other hand, feels lacking of something. I feel it needs a little more excitement, character, distortion, probably compression/automation. Maybe, and this may be a little odd, a little touch of autotune (as an effect more than correction) could work? I'm not super familiar with the genre but I kinda remember the somewhat exaggerated tuning as part of its signature.
Not sure about the lower octave voice, but that's part of the arrangement I guess.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(08-11-2018, 04:36 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Kirk nice low end,the bass is a little clang in places but that,s just a preference thing,well done.

Thanks Cudjoe
I appreciate the comments
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(08-11-2018, 05:13 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi Kirk,
I'll join the crowd and praise the low end of your mix. The punch and clarity of the kick is very satisfying and works really well. The synths have a nice silky character and they sound pleasing and unobtrusive. Great, great job with the guitars.

The voice, on the other hand, feels lacking of something. I feel it needs a little more excitement, character, distortion, probably compression/automation. Maybe, and this may be a little odd, a little touch of autotune (as an effect more than correction) could work? I'm not super familiar with the genre but I kinda remember the somewhat exaggerated tuning as part of its signature.
Not sure about the lower octave voice, but that's part of the arrangement I guess.

Hey Octo
Thanks for the kind words
Some good Ideas there, Im probably going to work on the vocals in a while, Ill give it a shot and see how it sounds.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
New Version 03.mpg

Worked on vocals to get to sit right and have a bit more bite.

took a lot of the suggestions so could use some comments

Cheers
K
Phenomenal.
I'm just mixing it myself and the vocalist is definitely problematic...
Trying to keep him natural just doesn't suite the rest of the instruments and vibe of the production
(15-11-2018, 09:28 PM)Fenekucci Wrote: Phenomenal.
I'm just mixing it myself and the vocalist is definitely problematic...
Trying to keep him natural just doesn't suite the rest of the instruments and vibe of the production

Thanks Fenekucci
yes the vocals were definitely tough, I agree

Cheers
KSmile
New version, night and day!!

Now the voice is consistently where it should be, and the overly tuned vocals work, at least for me.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(16-11-2018, 11:39 AM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: New version, night and day!!

Now the voice is consistently where it should be, and the overly tuned vocals work, at least for me.

Thanks Octo, That was a first for me, so a good learning experience, thanks for the suggestion, glad it worked.
Cheers
KSmile
My favourite mix of this so far. Really like the robotic vocal tuning effect. Great fat bass too.
(21-11-2018, 07:53 PM)alandavidhenry Wrote: My favourite mix of this so far. Really like the robotic vocal tuning effect. Great fat bass too.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the kind words, always appreciated
Cheers
KSmile