Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Purling Hiss: 'Lolita' (Jejsus mix)
13-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Purling Hiss: 'Lolita' (Jejsus mix)
What an awesome track!!!!! And I didn't get tired from mixing this one, not at all Cool, although there were quite a few things to do here Smile. With a slight artistic approach and after view at the band's guidelines and their way of creating music, I hope I got somewhere near the bands aspects for this song.

I didn't replace anything, kick drum is gated, I didn't want to polish vocal that much, just a few minor placements, and usual touch with compression and eq... No use of guitar DI track. I didn't want to put reverb on drums, I think they should be raw like the guitars are. Also a lot of distortion on bass guitar.

I'm happy for the raw takes as I don't like the polished stems so much. Respect to the band and to this awesome site!

Cheers!

.mp3   Purling Hiss - Lolita (Jejsus mix).mp3 --  (Download: 10 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Purling Hiss: 'Lolita' (Jejsus mix)
The kick and snare are too soft
13-07-2013, 11:07 PM
I think you're right! I should at least put another db on these! I don't like the bottom of the snare, so I'm thinking only to raise volume not to fatten it, what do you think Takka?

Anyway tomorow is another day and I need a pair of fresh ears, so update awaits till tomorow Big Grin
13-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Yes just up it and see,i think you will also need to nudge the vox up too
14-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Didn't go the way I thought Smile - what did I think Huh! I did some eq-ing on kick and snare, also took some sustain off the snare, which I didn't want to do in the first attempt, but hihat leakage was to big on snare mic, so only after then I was able to raise the volume without loosing the snares clarity...

I also added a little more reverb on some vocal parts, and some volume adjustments.

I think it's rocking now Cool (I hope so Big Grin ) !

.mp3   Purling Hiss - Lolita (Jejsus mix)_2nd_attempt.mp3 --  (Download: 10 MB)

14-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Loads better it sounds like a rock song now
14-07-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree, much better Smile

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
14-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Still not as good as mine lol
15-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi,

just listening to the second version. I think there is something wrong with the way the drums sound here. It is a bit hard to put a finger on it, but at least the snare sounds too soft. And that has nothing to do with volume, as the drums already seem a touch too loud - or at least they do not blend with the rest.

The special-fx reverb on the vocals is over the top. And although this is a nice gimmick I don't really see what the point of it should be.
15-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Hey Jejsus!I will agree with Artbass there, i think they need to pull down some 400-500hz on those drums and bring some 4-6 kh to make them more attacky and powerful.
Also some more high end on those guitars would be nice, not much just a bit.
Overall very nice mix.

Support my video work!
Advertisement: