Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'On The Line' James May
Another great song with a story from James. He always does great arrangements and uses instrumentation to enhance the lyrics. I've shared my mixes with family and they all wonder why this artist isn't on the radio.

.mp3    JamesMay_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.12 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I was listening to this song on my iPad during a break at work. An idea came to me to emphasize the lyrics, a slight change to the arrangement. At the intro and first verse there aren't any drums; okay, we're only boarding the train. During the middle instrumental break it seemed a little cluttered, so I cut the drum track entirely. They come back again for the final verse and chorus. I wanted add some drama to make the line, "the raven comes, there's a knock at your door, but all he says to you is, "Never more". I think the drum pause for about 10 bars does the trick.

.mp3    MR1210_JamesMay_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.1 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
I started over, re-balanced and EQ'd in mono, and remained there through the addition of vocal effects, so the delay and reverb are barely present once in a while. Everything was set and required no adjustment in stereo. I think this is more enjoyable.

.mp3    MR1210_JamesMay_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.99 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Hi Dave
Really smooth mix, nice vocal tone and you always seem to nail the acoustic tone. sounded great in the headphones.
Good work!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(09-07-2018, 03:57 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave
Really smooth mix, nice vocal tone and you always seem to nail the acoustic tone. sounded great in the headphones.
Good work!
Cheers
KSmile

Thanks Kirk. I started playing guitar at age 9, and got my first acoustic guitar at 15. Now I've collected a few 6-strings (classical, a thin-line body, an Ovation, and a Martin). On solo acoustic tunes, like David Young's songs, I can get away with 24dB/ octave HPF set at 80 Hz. On this and most all other songs with acoustic parts, I set the same cut-off point, but have a 48dB/ octave roll-off. At the high end there's a 12dB/ octave LPF at 16kHz. From there it depends on the recording; I may or may not add a high end shelf. When I record myself playing, I use a pair of AKG Perception 170 condenser mics, a pair of Sennheiser e609s, and if the guitar has a decent preamp, like the Martin, I'll use a direct box.
Peace,
Dave