Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A fine British drinking song
I enjoyed mixing this. Got the drums and bass settled last night, and finished it this morning. I'm working on an alternate with additional background vocals so it sounds more like the pub patrons are joining in. I'll post that when it ready.

.mp3    Primakova_TheGlass_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.02 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave ,
Good job with the music ,first impression was the electric guitars a touch upfront and the strings a touch low in the intro.
can hear some upper mid transients of the vocals jumping out mainly in the chorus .
The backing vocals some low frequencies in the side channels .
All minor things on my monitors !
Chat to you soon on Skype .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(27-05-2018, 05:41 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,
Good job with the music ,first impression was the electric guitars a touch upfront and the strings a touch low in the intro.
can hear some upper mid transients of the vocals jumping out mainly in the chorus .
The backing vocals some low frequencies in the side channels .
All minor things on my monitors !
Chat to you soon on Skype .

Cheers Big Grin
Thanks for listening, Don.
Re-balanced the guitars and synth-fiddle. With the fiddle more present, I put a gentle compressor on it, which it didn't previously need, and a little EQing to control the upper mid harmonics. FabFilterQ2 to the rescue, on the lead vocals and on the background vocals. In the later, I put it in mid-side mode to push frequencies below 400Hz to the middle, and above 400Hz to the sides. For a sanity check, I put A1 Stereo control on the background vocals with a spectrum analyzer afterwards, and then soloed the mid & side channels. Its much better now.

.mp3    Primakova_TheGlass_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave Mix 3 sounds great !
Chat to you soon !
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(30-05-2018, 10:29 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave Mix 3 sounds great !
Chat to you soon !
Cheers Big Grin

Thanks, Don, but it still needed some work on the lead vocal. I went to the track and increased the gain on the softer sections, and reduced the gain on the peaks. Lastly, I usually try not to over-compress to keep the dynamics of a song intact, but in this case I added a gentle compressor on the lead vocal track, just touching the peaks, and left the C4 compressor on the lead vocal bus. Now I'm satisfied with the lead vocal clarity throughout the song.

.mp3    Primakova_TheGlass_Mix4_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.97 MB)

Peace,
Dave