Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fergessen - Back From The Start - Joe P mix
Ok, this one was better than "the wind"
Here's a 320kbps mix with a limiter for volume's sake (I don't think I degraded the signal, but let me know if you hear anything).
Still don't have a handle on EQing dual vocals on a single track.
I almost didn't think the whole song was here because the shakers go on for another four beats (I cut that off). You'll hear the vocal delay tail I put on the end (read below).

DRUMS
- Lots of drum tracks to mess around with but hardly needed them all.
- I have some subtle stuff going on in the snare parallel chain (delay, fuzz).

RHODES
- spread this one out a bit into three channels. lower end in the middle and two tracks hard panned with higher end info, offset a few ms. Comes through nice.

GUITAR
- best sounding track on this song. I didn't spend a ton of time on it. I should have multed it to get better control over it but just rode the fader instead. Very dynamic track. I could have done way better. It kinda get lost. Maybe I'll dig back in later.

DJEMBE
- sounded nasty, now it sounds slightly less nasty

VOCALS
- there's a delay with a steady amount of feedback throughout the whole thing automated to cut off at the end. Long reverb as well.

BACKUPS
- fuzzed em up. gated em.

BASS
- bass was like a lead instrument in this song. I took that track pushed it close to the front (it was hard to not push it too loud). Automated in a slightly fuzzed out delay that give a shout in the right channel.

ACOUSTIC
- not totally steady with the kick and kept being distracting. I think I straightened it out. Also doubled/widened.

Interesting how many folks had such a dry take on this song. I totally would have never thought of doing that. Some of them were very good. A lot of them did quite well with the vocals, I might dig back in a give the vox a little more effort if I have a few minutes (...hours).

.mp3    Back From The Start - limit.mp3 --  (Download: 6.34 MB)

soundcloud.com/joepalumbo
Very "wet" interesting view !!!
I won't talk about taste, as it´s technicaly speaking good !
Maybe lowering the reverb on lead could make it more .... Well... Can't find the word :

Good and différent job !
it all sounds too busy i think
takka360: busy all around? or are more parts more crowded than others? Is it the delay extras?

I think that Xabix is right about the reverb. I am listening to this on laptop speakers now and the vocal reverb especially is jumping out. I think I might lower it overall and automate it in a little thicker in the whispering parts where it really works. It also might just be too long of a delay too, I can shorten the tail a bit. I'm actually working with a delay plugin that I am not familiar with at all. It's the lexicon hall reverb. It sounds great, there's just A LOT of paramaters and it's easy to get lost in it.

I like the little bass delay in the right channel, though it is WAY too loud on laptop speaker and I'm guessing a lot of other speakers for that matter.

As busy as this may sound to some (so far, one. ha), I believe that there is no such thing as experimenting too much. Getting this feedback is good, because then I can trim the fat and keep the little frills that really make it special.

I'll go back in this mix on the weekend and toy around and throw it back out there. Can't wait to hear everyone's responses.

Note on comments:
We are adults. I believe that we can all distinguish between one's personal taste/opinion and technical criticism. As a new member, I hope to see both of those things equally present. Don't be afraid to talk about what YOU like. For instance, I do not like this band for which I have done mixes of two songs already; it's just not my style though I am familiar with the sound. People like certain music because they have a taste for specific styles and sounds, and if they don't like what we're giving them, well, it's partly our fault.
I only bring this up because in a lot of threads it seems like people hold back a little. We can all be nice like Mike Senior says and do so while being honest. Comments like "this mix sounds like crap" is obviously in NO way helpful to anyone (not that I've seen that on ANY thread, which is why I like this forum), but comments like "if you pull the gain down on the string track and put a shorter predelay on the reverb it will sit much nicer in the mix" helps everyone move forward.

Good times, everyone.
Hi,yes the delay i think bcause you have so much verb already on the vox so its all clashing a bit.
I like the delay but would be a better contrast with a dryer vocal,i also think it would work to better effect overall.
Its only an opinion,i think the mix is good in many ways
Thanks for the details! Good points. I'll be playing around with this in a few days.
Very good and interesting interpretation of this song.
I like the delay effect how it creates a new rhythm for this song

I agree with takka30: huge reverb in the main vocals bothers me. It doesn't sound natural to have a huge reverb when the singer is almost whispering.

I like the dirty and blurry elements in your mix. But it would be very interesting to hear this one with dry main vocals. It might add some extra dramatic and contrast. Or not? I don't know...
OK, a little update.
EQed down the drum reverb (I can't live without drum reverb) so it's way more subtle.

Took off the vocal reverb completely.
Ditched the compressor on the guitar, and instead automated the gain.

Pulled down the little dirty bass guitar delay (it was way too loud) so now sounds like kind of a "cute" detail rather than part of the song.

.mp3    Back From The Start - L2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.34 MB)

I like this version more. Now I start to listen more the song than the tricks what the mixer has done.
(23-07-2013, 06:46 AM)Olli H Wrote: I like this version more. Now I start to listen more the song than the tricks what the mixer has done.

Yea, i hear that. Thanks!