Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PE - Stop And Rise
Mixed it mono, and then switched to stereo and added the panning. Mix1 had a double tracked lead vocal panned left and right, but in mono again, they seemed to partially cancel each other out. This mix is with that correction, both DT vocals panned equally.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Mix2_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
With better compressors used across all the buses, and I found a cool plug-in that comes close to what Florian used on the lead vocal at 2:25 (giving that crunched and crushed "phone" effect)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Mix7_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hi Dave ,I like your mix sounds good on my monitors a little punch and smack on the drums would sound great .
The electric guitars can hear some low frequencies competing for some space .
I added some isolated tracks to my thread to show how I treated the guitars mainly for some advice !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-02-2018, 11:00 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,I like your mix sounds good on my monitors a little punch and smack on the drums would sound great .
The electric guitars can hear some low frequencies competing for some space .
I added some isolated tracks to my thread to show how I treated the guitars mainly for some advice !

Cheers Big Grin
I wiped all the plug-ins and started fresh with the original tracks. My first step was to get the EQs set to minimize unwanted bleed. Then I applied noise gates where necessary, and then started balancing and panning, creating the necessary buses, and checking the electric guitar parts for similarities or sameness along the way. Electric guitar 4 was an important part that just wasn't cutting through enough, so it got a bus of it's own to push it out front more. The bass DI got an amp sim that closely matched the record amp's "growl". The end result has more drum punch and less guitars interfering in the lower frequencies. Let me know what your thoughts are.

For those that believe the guitars still have too much bass or are too loud, mix 11 cuts all the guitars below 150Hz and lowers their overall volume 3dB. Others in real life have given various opinions, most of which are conflicting; some say the bass isn't present enough, or that the guitars need more focus, or are too loud, or that they just don't like one thing or an other, so I've gotten in the habit of presenting alternative versions of the same song, so the difference can be immediately heard. The few folks in real life that do understand frequencies, decibels, compressors and limiters are also very genre biased, so opinions here given with details give me something to work towards. I didn't have to rip all the prior work down, I simply chose to, because I didn't like enough of what was there to worry about saving it for a rainy day.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Mix9_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.99 MB)

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Mix11B_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.03 MB)

Peace,
Dave
For 2 months I've been listening to all the interpretations of this tune, and the original band mix, and noting where my mix falls very short. Its all been great learning experiences, trying to get the same attack and punch on the drums, and add similar fuzz to the bass guitar, knocking the balance out of whack and compensating so nothing is clipping. For the last week I've been working this song and making improvements. There are bits & pieces of many of the other versions in this thread that I tried to emulate, and other pieces that I kept as is. Please give a listen and let me know what your thoughts are.
Peace,
Dave
Updated May21 - removed the previous version, because this one is so much better. The snare hits sound like gun shots.

.mp3    PerpetualEscape_StopAndRise_Reamped_PDrumCrush_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

Peace,
Dave