Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
<<< Sweet Eliza Jane - New Version 5 >>>
Another beautiful song from James May and very well recorded.

All of the parts defined their own dynamics for me in this song so I found there was very little to do to make things fit in the mix. Subtlety was the watchword with very little done with EQ and effects. Finding the right location for instruments in the stereo field was also very straightforward and when their positions were found made the mix very simple to realize.

I hope it reads in this first rendition.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

James May - Eliza Jane
6/21/2017

James May - Eliza Jane - Version 2
6/23/2017
So with version two, I wanted to do a more 'polished' version of this song.  I'm not sure I pulled it off and may have just tripped on my necktie with this.  I'll let your ears be the judge.
Version 2 has lots of EQ, reverb, compression and automation. For better or worse, enjoy version 2.

After a few missteps including MP3 conversion errors and a loss of automation of the Mandolins, this is the new version 2 for review

James May - Eliza Jane - Version 3
7/22/2017
Some new plugins and techniques for compression and mastering has resulted in this new version 3 of this fun song.
James May - Eliza Jane - Version 4
5/12/2021
Went silky on this remix and remaster. Lush and deep with some new environments for each instrument group. completely updated automation.
James May - Eliza Jane - Vers 5
7/7/2021
This was remastered and then remixed with the use of the Puigchild 670 Stereo Compressor on the master buss.
I look forward to comments.

Thanks!

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane.mp3 --  (Download: 11.52 MB)

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane- Version 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.63 MB)

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane - Version 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.03 MB)

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane - Version 4.mp3 --  (Download: 11.79 MB)

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane - Vers 5.mp3 --  (Download: 11.74 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Wow you've been busy with the critiques, Well Done!

I really like this, your vision for this track works well. I love the vocal sound, a nice amount of body with a lovely top end air to complete. Very complementary and well managed. The only thing I would like is some extra controlled fader rides for the mando parts. Some ear candy if you like, just to bring out some of that extra detail of the player as well as to level the parts a little without resorting to the use of a compressor. Well Done.

Great Work!Big Grin
(22-06-2017, 12:57 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Wow you've been busy with the critiques, Well Done!

I really like this, your vision for this track works well. I love the vocal sound, a nice amount of body with a lovely top end air to complete. Very complementary and well managed. The only thing I would like is some extra controlled fader rides for the mando parts. Some ear candy if you like, just to bring out some of that extra detail of the player as well as to level the parts a little without resorting to the use of a compressor. Well Done.

Great Work!Big Grin

That is precisely what I am currently working on in the next mix!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This sounds amazing - what a great job. Especially like the drums and the vocals but the whole thing just sounds so full and present, love it!

Lovely solid mix ,Sounds good on my monitors what ever you come up with the next version is a bonus !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(22-06-2017, 07:00 PM)nickfrom Wrote: This sounds amazing - what a great job. Especially like the drums and the vocals but the whole thing just sounds so full and present, love it!

Hey. Thanks so much for your comments. This was a fun song to do. Look for a new version which will be more 'produced' as another way of mixing this fine song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Well done with the instrument placements, every one has it's place.
Overall the mix sounds good. However for my taste I miss the warmth and perhaps a little de-ess on the vocal would tame those "S" sounds.
Also you may want to check your levels I noticed frequent analogue clipping. This could have happened during the file conversion to MP3.
Have fun with V2.
(23-06-2017, 01:29 PM)L.Mix Wrote: Well done with the instrument placements, every one has it's place.
Overall the mix sounds good. However for my taste I miss the warmth and perhaps a little de-ess on the vocal would tame those "S" sounds.
Also you may want to check your levels I noticed frequent analogue clipping. This could have happened during the file conversion to MP3.
Have fun with V2.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to guess your system has more hi-end than mine. I say that because I did almost no EQ and only slight ambience on the vocals. That being said, you do make good points. I was more cognizant of the upper-mids of the vocals in my coming mix. I think for mild harshness and not as much a true de-essing. As for the distortion, there may be a bad plug in my rig, however, what you may be hearing is cymbals from the over-heads which when solo'd sound like clicks. It threw me for a while especially since my setup is somewhat unconventional.

It may also have to do with a conversion from 44.1 .wav files to a forced minimum 48K DAW config because of Dante Via acting as the audio I/O. I think for my next project I may up-convert those files prior to bringing them into the DAW and see if that makes a difference. These conversions are not my ballywick. It may take some digging to get this squared away.

Again, thanks for the valuable input and keep an eye out for version 2. It will be a more 'produced' version!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Like your V2 much better, it has a nice laid back feel to it, easy listening. Well done.
Hello,

I listened briefly to mix 2.

Regarding the count-in, what was your reasoning behind it appearing only in one channel? Do you also think it could be louder, especially for an audience listening at low level with a high background noise (levels of up to -50dB can be pretty common, even in domestic surroundings)? Thinking about it, does it's inclusion add to the concept of the song, especially in context of a studio-type production as against a live performance?

Are you not finding this busy?

How did you envisage differentiating the verses and choruses musically and instrumentally? How did you plan to help keep listeners engaged for the duration of a relatively long song?

I recommend you back off from the limiter, you appear to be pushing it hard on occasion because I can hear distortion. Why the need to limit to 0dB?

Love your LED layout in the avatar. Out of interest, what size are the screens?

Thanks for the listen too