Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie Jones_WhyDon'tYouStay_mix Tommy Marcinek
Dang......had to start from scratch on this....just wasn't happy with my mix. I left the other one up for comparison. First one is way too tin-can sounding and the highs are just killing me. Plus, the snare sounds thin and weak. Soooooooooooooo, I tried some other things and the second mix you see is much better in my opinion. The drums sound better to me.....now they have some balls to them! Once again, I mixed those 3 drum tracks provided without having to add any samples or sound-replacinv anything. I just didn't want to do it....wanted to see if was possible to make those 3 drum tracks sound good without doing sound-replacing. Note: Thanks to Dave and Roy for commenting on the first mix.

Best,

Tom
AngelAngelAngel

.mp3    WhyDon\'tYouStay_14_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

.mp3    WhyDon\'tYouStay_15_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I like it a lot Tommy, clean and exciting. With the cans on, that kick beater was doing a good job of trying to push my brains out through my nose.Smile I love the drum sound, perhaps the 3 tracks were a blessing in disguise. I like it went the drums tracks are limited, less is more for me.

Maybe the only critique I can think of is with the build and releases though out the song, which could be emphasis a little more. One part in particular is the hammond part entering in the second verse could maybe have more impact which would help build the second verse into the chorus.

Well done, keep thinking outside the box, inside the boxBig Grin

Dave
Sounds cool. I like the simplified intro. After all the versions I did I was starting to feel like the intro didn't really help the song too much.

My biggest issue with the mix is it feels like everything exists in a narrow frequency range. The balances all work and it isn't fatiguing but everything is in that midrange area. Even the bass upper end of the bass and kick beater gets in on the action. In the end everything fights to be heard and it gets cluttered. The parts sound good. I like the beater on the kick. It feels really natural but it moves the emphasis of the kick into the same part of the canvas as everything else. Same with the bass. I like the definition and "finger"ness of it (lord know I over emphasized it on my mixes) but again it tries to get in on everyone's action.
Most importantly that area everyone is in is the same area as the vocals.

Like I like the tone of the drums. They sound natural without being boring.

As a side note, I agree with Dave about the simplified drum tracks. It's nice to not have to wade through 15 drum tracks and just accept them for what they are. It doesn't hurt that they sound pretty good. I'm betting it was a Glyn Johns setup.

Overall it sounds good. I think you can make some more room around the instruments but as it is the mix works.
(25-02-2017, 09:30 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I like it a lot Tommy, clean and exciting. With the cans on, that kick beater was doing a good job of trying to push my brains out through my nose.Smile I love the drum sound, perhaps the 3 tracks were a blessing in disguise. I like it went the drums tracks are limited, less is more for me.

Maybe the only critique I can think of is with the build and releases though out the song, which could be emphasis a little more. One part in particular is the hammond part entering in the second verse could maybe have more impact which would help build the second verse into the chorus.

Well done, keep thinking outside the box, inside the boxBig Grin

Dave

------------
Dave, thanks but after listening again to my mix I just want to throw up. Had to take a different approach. Everything was way too smushed up and tin-sounding....like a tin can. The snare sounded so thin and weak....I'm going nuts. Just posted another mix....left the first one there for comparison. I hope the second one is better. At least it's more meaty and the snare sounds much better and the highs aren't making my ears bleed. Later.....Tom

(25-02-2017, 03:01 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds cool. I like the simplified intro. After all the versions I did I was starting to feel like the intro didn't really help the song too much.

My biggest issue with the mix is it feels like everything exists in a narrow frequency range. The balances all work and it isn't fatiguing but everything is in that midrange area. Even the bass upper end of the bass and kick beater gets in on the action. In the end everything fights to be heard and it gets cluttered. The parts sound good. I like the beater on the kick. It feels really natural but it moves the emphasis of the kick into the same part of the canvas as everything else. Same with the bass. I like the definition and "finger"ness of it (lord know I over emphasized it on my mixes) but again it tries to get in on everyone's action.
Most importantly that area everyone is in is the same area as the vocals.

Like I like the tone of the drums. They sound natural without being boring.

As a side note, I agree with Dave about the simplified drum tracks. It's nice to not have to wade through 15 drum tracks and just accept them for what they are. It doesn't hurt that they sound pretty good. I'm betting it was a Glyn Johns setup.

Overall it sounds good. I think you can make some more room around the instruments but as it is the mix works.
-------------------

Roy, thanks but after listening again to my mix I just want to throw up. Had to take a different approach. Everything was way too smushed up and tin-sounding....like a tin can. The snare sounded so thin and weak....I'm going nuts. Just posted another mix....left the first one there for comparison. I hope the second one is better. At least it's more meaty and the snare sounds much better and the highs aren't making my ears bleed. Later.....Tom

The new version (15) sounds great. It has a lot of depth and 3d without sounding artificial. Very big. It moves along nicely too. There's something about this song where it can feel really slow and drag or it can drive depending on the mix. This mix you can tap your feet to.

I don't really have any notes. I like the bass tone but sometimes it gets in the way of the vocal. He kind of riffs when the vocal is singing and steals some of the spotlight. Minor but it's something that I noticed.

The lead vocal feels a little loud in the midrange. For the most part it sounds great but when he pushes it get a little harsh. Just barely but it's something that jumped out at me.

Excellent job.
(26-02-2017, 03:07 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The new version (15) sounds great. It has a lot of depth and 3d without sounding artificial. Very big. It moves along nicely too. There's something about this song where it can feel really slow and drag or it can drive depending on the mix. This mix you can tap your feet to.

I don't really have any notes. I like the bass tone but sometimes it gets in the way of the vocal. He kind of riffs when the vocal is singing and steals some of the spotlight. Minor but it's something that I noticed.

The lead vocal feels a little loud in the midrange. For the most part it sounds great but when he pushes it get a little harsh. Just barely but it's something that jumped out at me.

Excellent job.

--------
Roy,

Thanks for your analysis and kind words. I feel as if I can abandon (be finished working on it) this mix now. With the few things you mentioned as standouts, it's a big difference from the feedback I got from you and the others on the other mix/mixes. Whew. I'm done....tired...LOL! But, the learning experience was immeasurable in working with this song. So, I will try to take some of the lessons learned here and apply it to other mixes. Thanks again for you thoughtful and honest comments.

Tom

Hey Tom,
Listening to version ,the hard work and time has definitely paid off as sounds great.
Now I have to sort out my next version if I'm not locked up in a padded cell by then lol !

Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(01-03-2017, 07:28 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Tom,
Listening to version ,the hard work and time has definitely paid off as sounds great.
Now I have to sort out my next version if I'm not locked up in a padded cell by then lol !

Don

-------------

Don......LOL.....nah, don't go into a padded cell. Just keep on mixing my friend. What I love about mixing is you can just keep learning and getting better. Sometimes I continue to make the same mistakes......but little by little, I'm finding my way and correcting them. Every genre is different, so the learning will NEVER ever stop. I think this forum is just wonderful. Many thanks to Mike Senior for this site. I know he has worked his ass off to provide this forum.

Later....

Tom

hei Tom
just listened now your mix..
It sound really good balanced and warm!
Only two things I have noticed, I feel too much the string of the bass, and maybe to many low freq on the voice..
But I think is a matter of taste!

See you later

Will