Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juliet's Rescue: Heartbeats -- Knz
Dunno what to say, just made it work for my ears. Guess the most challenging part was to make the choruses, verses etc. to work together since they represent somewhat different musical genres which aren't that commonly seen together.

Somewhat quick mix, nothing too fancy, but I liked the song so.. =)

.mp3    Heatbeats_Knz.mp3 --  (Download: 10.32 MB)

I only listened to a bit. It sounds good to me. The vocal is a little harsh. Not overly so but it could be a little warmer.
Overall it feels good.

Mix something else. It all sounds good so far. I want to hear a song I know. I think you can navigate balances and all that. I think you can do a little more and take a song to another level. That feels like the next step.
(24-02-2017, 01:55 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I only listened to a bit. It sounds good to me. The vocal is a little harsh. Not overly so but it could be a little warmer.
Overall it feels good.

Mix something else. It all sounds good so far. I want to hear a song I know. I think you can navigate balances and all that. I think you can do a little more and take a song to another level. That feels like the next step.

Yea, there is also a bit "honky" buildup and sub-bass could use some work, it's a bit too forced for my tastes. And you're on point on vocals.

I think I just mixed something you know; The Human Radio -song. Still somewhat rough, but not sure if I have the time "finish" it.

And thanks for the listen/comments! =)
I'm just about to begin the mute and fader automation on my mix (using Harrison Mixbus and some outboard), and I've got to say this sounds really close to my "static" mix! Since IMO my mix sounds pretty decent as-is I would venture that you did a hell of a job. I disagree that the vox are harsh. They were pretty obviously recorded with a LDC that has one of the "Chinese presence peak" frequency response (and this includes some great mics like the 414 and U87AI), and therefore if you try to "warm them up" you have to both compress the crap out of them as well as force them to ride "on top" of the song instead of inside of it.

You used more room Mic than I did.

Question for you and all others that have mixed this track: do you think the live drums were recorded very poorly? If so, how did you bring them up to the quality of the samples used in the verse? I had a hell of a time with that and decided to drive the chorus with a wall-of-guitars and let the drums lay back a bit, and as an engineer friend of mine said it "lacks balls".... comments appreciated, and I'll upload my static mix now for your reference.

.mp3    Heartbeats 2_r1_session_2017-07-18.mp3 --  (Download: 9.98 MB)

I think you have some good ideas here. I like the direction you took with this. The harshness I think is in the 3kHz range over the mix and not necessarily just on the vocals. Notching some of that out should help with that.