Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red'
(03-11-2016, 12:00 PM)joelonsdale Wrote:
(03-11-2016, 11:57 AM)thedon Wrote: Here is version 4 remixed on different monitors .
wondering if better of worst.
Cheers Big Grin

It's good (really good) but IMHO the vocals are way too quiet and that pitched resonance (G) on the acoustic guitars is all pervasive throughout! Big Grin
Thanks Joe ,tried to tame the acoustic guitars and bring up the vocals.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Don, I think you may be suffering from 'too much time at the fair' on this one. While everything sounds good, it also sounds like a bit too much overthinking to the point of losing the natural energy of the players. This happens to me too when I get too close to something. Maybe some time away from this mix will freshen your approach and return some of the natural energy back to the mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(03-11-2016, 02:25 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Don, I think you may be suffering from 'too much time at the fair' on this one. While everything sounds good, it also sounds like a bit too much overthinking to the point of losing the natural energy of the players. This happens to me too when I get too close to something. Maybe some time away from this mix will freshen your approach and return some of the natural energy back to the mix.

I agree that's good advice will have a break !

Cheers Big Grin

Latest version done some level adjustments and some more De-essing on vocals.
Thanks for the feedback .
Cheers Big Grin

Lots of good balancing going on, Don -- everything comes through clearly, with lots of definition on the main riff and the vocals and particular, which appeals to me. There's a really good sense of blend too, so whatever effects you've used here are doing something that works for me. Maybe the banjo could sit a little bit more into the track? I kind of like it as a statement, but it does pull me a bit out of the environment of the rest of the band. You've also done a great job filling out the low end of the bass, which gives the low end a nice fullness, not only when the riff arrives each time, but also during the mid-sections.

Mixinthecloud has already made a point in this thread that I think I'd agree with, though: my main criticism of this mix would be that it sounds just a bit overmixed -- if that makes any sense! For a start, the 3-5kHz region seems over-pushed, and that's often a spectral area that can get overpopulated if you keep adding it to different instruments to get them all to sound more energetic and upfront. I wonder whether part of this might also be you adding psychoacoustic enhancements or saturation algorithms to things (particularly the drums and cymbals) so that their upper harmonics actually become too dense, masking too many of the melodic/harmonic frequency components of other instruments. I suspect this may also be the reason that the cymbal and drum sustains also sound a bit abrasive overall, which makes me want to reach for either the EQ or the volume control. It's not that I disagree with giving this music a dose more aggression, but I think I'd also rather I could turn it up, which at the moment is a bit fatiguing.

As I said, I like the way you featured the banjo here, but other elements of variety in the arrangement felt a bit underplayed -- the ElecGtr02 broken chords or rhodes parts in the Mid-sections, for instance, or ElecGtr04 in Outro 1. For that reason the long-term mix dynamics seem rather static. In music that makes such a feature of a repeated riff, I think it's worth working a bit harder to draw out and highlight whatever arrangement variety there is, from the perspective of keeping the listener engaged.

Still, this is clearly a very creditable mix overall -- thanks for uploading it for us all to hear!
(17-11-2016, 12:49 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Lots of good balancing going on, Don -- everything comes through clearly, with lots of definition on the main riff and the vocals and particular, which appeals to me. There's a really good sense of blend too, so whatever effects you've used here are doing something that works for me. Maybe the banjo could sit a little bit more into the track? I kind of like it as a statement, but it does pull me a bit out of the environment of the rest of the band. You've also done a great job filling out the low end of the bass, which gives the low end a nice fullness, not only when the riff arrives each time, but also during the mid-sections.

Mixinthecloud has already made a point in this thread that I think I'd agree with, though: my main criticism of this mix would be that it sounds just a bit overmixed -- if that makes any sense! For a start, the 3-5kHz region seems over-pushed, and that's often a spectral area that can get overpopulated if you keep adding it to different instruments to get them all to sound more energetic and upfront. I wonder whether part of this might also be you adding psychoacoustic enhancements or saturation algorithms to things (particularly the drums and cymbals) so that their upper harmonics actually become too dense, masking too many of the melodic/harmonic frequency components of other instruments. I suspect this may also be the reason that the cymbal and drum sustains also sound a bit abrasive overall, which makes me want to reach for either the EQ or the volume control. It's not that I disagree with giving this music a dose more aggression, but I think I'd also rather I could turn it up, which at the moment is a bit fatiguing.

As I said, I like the way you featured the banjo here, but other elements of variety in the arrangement felt a bit underplayed -- the ElecGtr02 broken chords or rhodes parts in the Mid-sections, for instance, or ElecGtr04 in Outro 1. For that reason the long-term mix dynamics seem rather static. In music that makes such a feature of a repeated riff, I think it's worth working a bit harder to draw out and highlight whatever arrangement variety there is, from the perspective of keeping the listener engaged.

Still, this is clearly a very creditable mix overall -- thanks for uploading it for us all to hear!
Thanks for having a listen Mike and detailed feedback,
Uploaded another mix V5.5 hopefully sounds a touch better.
My wife and kids keep asking why I keep playing the same song over and over again, they think I'm nuts and probably right lol.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks again for listening and commenting on my mix of this song.
I have listened to your mix versions 4 and 5.5.
I think you did a fantastic job of taking Mike's suggestions and using them to better your mix. Mix 5.5 sounds very well balanced across the frequency spectrum to my ears. I love the kick drum sound you got.
Well done.
Great job overall in bring warmth and dynamics to your mix.
I really like the vocal grit and drive you did.

I would pull back on the pumping a bit though because it seems to affect the vocals delivery slightly.

For instance, the vocal transients are getting cut off marginally, possible due to a short attack setting on your compression somewhere.

Try parallel compression or if your compressor has a wet/dry setting, try experimenting with different levels of saturation.

I think that you do good mixes and this is just another one to add to that list.

Best.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(20-11-2016, 04:00 AM)johnfueston Wrote: Thanks again for listening and commenting on my mix of this song.
I have listened to your mix versions 4 and 5.5.
I think you did a fantastic job of taking Mike's suggestions and using them to better your mix. Mix 5.5 sounds very well balanced across the frequency spectrum to my ears. I love the kick drum sound you got.
Well done.
Thanks for having another listen !

Cheers Big Grin

(20-11-2016, 01:45 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Great job overall in bring warmth and dynamics to your mix.
I really like the vocal grit and drive you did.

I would pull back on the pumping a bit though because it seems to affect the vocals delivery slightly.

For instance, the vocal transients are getting cut off marginally, possible due to a short attack setting on your compression somewhere.

Try parallel compression or if your compressor has a wet/dry setting, try experimenting with different levels of saturation.

I think that you do good mixes and this is just another one to add to that list.

Best.
Thanks for having a listen ,will have another play around.

Cheers Big Grin