Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - Olli H
Great separation on this one, every single track is there nice and clear!

Some smaller things that come to mind: Maybe a bit too much room/ambience in the chorus section on the vocals, compared to the verse the lead vox makes quite a step back.
The backing choir feels a bit disconnected, here some more ambience would benefit to glue them to the rest of the band in my opinion.
Or maybe taking them down a dB or two could help also.

Shortly before the chorus sets in there´s something dropping off in level quite drastically (when the drum fill makes the transition to the chorus - both of them). Did you automate the guitars down? Then maybe automation starts too early..

Enough nit-picking, great job Olli H!

Hi Olli

Great mix , very different take with the trem guitar , and I love tremolo guitars. as above I think maybe a tiny bit of low end off the backing vocals and a bit of ambience on them will make them sit nice,
Great mix

Keep rockin
Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Hello,

Great mix. I like the energy the bass brings to the song.

I agree that backing vocals could be improved, especially at the end. I feel like you put some saturation on them which sounds too agressive to me, these tracks are a more "relaxed" part of the song.

Great idea, tremolo on guitars !

Moussa

Thanks all,
I made some small changes that were proposed by you all.

Bg with more space, less distortion, lower level. But I still kept the bgs a bit detached from the space of main vox. For some reason I wanted them to jump in front of everything.

Automation mistakes fixed in transition from verse to chorus.

(10-11-2016, 07:44 PM)Herb Felho Wrote: Shortly before the chorus sets in there´s something dropping off in level quite drastically (when the drum fill makes the transition to the chorus - both of them). Did you automate the guitars down? Then maybe automation starts too early..

Good ears you got there. And I thought I was careful with transitions Smile It was clearly a mistake. The first transition was a bit better, but the second was very bad. I must have done it just with eyes without listening, and it was too early…

.mp3    colourmered-2016-11-13-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)

(13-11-2016, 06:31 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks all,
I made some small changes that were proposed by you all.

Bg with more space, less distortion, lower level. But I still kept the bgs a bit detached from the space of main vox. For some reason I wanted them to jump in front of everything.

Automation mistakes fixed in transition from verse to chorus.

(10-11-2016, 07:44 PM)Herb Felho Wrote: Shortly before the chorus sets in there´s something dropping off in level quite drastically (when the drum fill makes the transition to the chorus - both of them). Did you automate the guitars down? Then maybe automation starts too early..

Good ears you got there. And I thought I was careful with transitions Smile It was clearly a mistake. The first transition was a bit better, but the second was very bad. I must have done it just with eyes without listening, and it was too early…

This post #15 version is excellent.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Great progress with mix. The latest version indeed sounds very complete.
Lovely smooth and hi-fi sound you've put together here, Olli, with very tasteful use of effects and panning giving a great sense of openness which I like a lot. The clarity is also exceptional, as several other posters have already commented, which speaks of very classy use of EQ and faders. I really like what you've done with the backing vocals in particular -- they really poke out and deliver their lyrics very effectively. The long-term dynamics of your mix are also commendable -- the arrival of the Mid-sections makes a real statement, for instance, and your left-right call-and-response idea there is also very nifty. The arrival of Intro 2 is another highlight, because of the way you contrast the rather lo-fi (multed?) guitar and snare with the wide-open sound of the full band when it comes in. Very cool effects on ElecGtr04 in Outro 1 -- it takes us to a new otherworldly place just for a moment, which is all the more effective because the overall ambience feels so natural.

There are only two issues I'd really query here. The first thing is that the depth perspective doesn't quite add up for me. The vocal feels a bit too distant, somehow. I'm all for giving it a bit of room sound, in keeping with the kind of vision you've developed here, but that room seems to be dragging it behind the snare and particularly the guitars. In this respect I'm not sure it helps that your dynamics settings seem to emphasis the transients of the guitars, which also brings them further forward. A particularly stark example is the banjo in verse 3, which is quite distracting by virtue of being so much more upfront. I wonder whether you might take some of the natural room sound off the lead vocal and try using a slapback delay or something that won't distance it as much? A bit of HF smoothing for the picked guitars/banjo (whether EQ or transient shaping) might also help, as well as adding a further dose of short ambience to them. The toms also suddenly leap forward too in the fills -- although partly as a result of their extreme panning, admittedly.

The vocal distancing dovetails into my second concern, which is simply that, from a purely aesthetic angle, I think your vision might be a bit too polite for the lyric, and indeed the vocal style. Don't get me wrong, I think your vision sounds great, but I'm not convinced it's the most supportive vision for this performance of this music. I find myself wanting a little less restraint and a bit more attitude somehow. A bit more audible pumping to the buss compression, maybe. Sacrificing a bit of clarity to get a bit more dirt and power, perhaps. And pulling the vocals further forward would fit in with that concept too, because he's one of the prime carriers of the combative attitude of the track after all.

Thanks for posting -- lots of things worthy of emulation there!
THanks, good points! I might try different vox sound, maybe with that slapback delay. Let's see where it takes the rest of the mix. But I think I try to stay on more acoustical interpretation of the band. Maybe I must study some Tom Waits for this....
Wow. An excellent take on this song. A really good vertical mix too which gives peeks into tonalities and placements unique to this great mix. One complaint though. towards the end of the song I was getting some fatigue with the sizzle on top of the acoustics? I think it was the acoustics. I hate to say anything bad about this mix because it is exciting, professional and unique. Great job. One other observation is that your mix sounded best at a lower volume. Full, fat and punchy without the need to be loud.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I tried first to make bigger changes with rougher sound, but everthing broke apart, so I decided to stick to my orginal acoustic idea, which suits my ears better.
Small tiny minimal changes here and there to make the overall sound a bit smoother and acoustical than before. Biggest changes are in vox. I changed everything.

This one is the competition version.

.mp3    colourmered-2-16-11-25-ollih-final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)